Forums Latest Members
  1. suneetk05 Oct 3, 2017

Edit.

Edited Aug 29, 2022
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 3, 2017

3. trackpad Oct 3, 2017

Yes. Avoid eBay for a while. Stick around, read, learn. It will be great. Enjoy.

joso, nonuffinkbloke and mydeafcat like this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 3, 2017

Set up a search on Watchrecon.com

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 3, 2017

A lot depends on what the watch actually looks like. Patina on dial and hands. Which bezel. Case wear.

There is no place to score a bargain. These are becoming very blue chip.

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 3, 2017

Dot over 90 / chocolate dial / good - excellent condition and you are moving well north of $10k.

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 3, 2017

Tell that to @Fattony

8. Davidt Oct 3, 2017

eBay can be your best friend or worse enemy. No reserve auctions can turn up bargains if you know what to look for and are prepared to back yourself. Especially if the pictures are poor or lack detail.

On the flip side, if you aren't confident in your ability to separate the wheat from the chaff you're playing with Fire bidding on auctions without asking for help (which will generally alert others to the flaws or potential of the piece).

On the whole I think the prices on sp101 reflect what reasonably knowledgeable collectors pay. If you're looking at BIN on eBay, dealer prices, flag ship auction houses etc, you're likely looking at +50-100% on those prices.

Dial & Bezel likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 3, 2017

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 3, 2017

Nice price and nice watch.

MikiJ and propervinyl like this.
  11. rcs914 Oct 3, 2017

I'd say on a -69, and for your first Speedy, maybe look for one of the later ones that doesn't have a DON bezel, since the watch should be significantly less expensive.

MGMCCO and quixet like this.
  12. Ninja2789 Oct 3, 2017

Also I'd recommend just picking up the Moon Watch Only book ($200ish) or the app ($30).

You're so early in your search that you should make sure you have an easy to reference tool where you can view hi-res picture of what a proper 145.022 should look like. This includes dial, case, movement, the works.

After that, use speedmaster101 to get a reasonable price range and then discount/add as the condition merits.

Welcome to the obsession.

mikechi22 likes this.
  13. rcs914 Oct 3, 2017

I know for me what I wanted was a birth year speedy - I happened to luck out that the one I bought randomly off of Ebay was a '77, so that was fortuitous.

14. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 3, 2017

IMHO buying a modern Speedmaster, NIB, except for some few and expensive editions, would be spending your money on a depreciating asset. Where as a vintage Speedmaster, especially a correct, original '69 with a nice DON bezel, is more likely to be an appreciating asset. Especially the one currently being offered by a well respected forum member. Just my 2c.

Dash1 and Foo2rama like this.
  15. wsfarrell Oct 3, 2017

Warranties are good, but problems with new Speedmasters are exceedingly rare. The main issues I've encountered with vintage Speedmasters are (1) broken mainspring, (2) chrono stutter and (3) chrono creep (please google 2 and 3). I tend to wear my vintage Speedies until (if) one of these issues arises, then I send it to a watchmaker. Others here will suggest any vintage Speedmaster with unknown service history should be immediately overhauled. Your choice.

16. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 3, 2017

There's at least two for sale here, right now.

17. mikesspeedy Oct 4, 2017

Your new out of the factory is a good price. IMHO unless your a collector I don't see the harm in a new one. I got new. I like to know the history of my things so I only buy new cars, (I know every mile on the clock), I like that I'm the first owner of the speedy pro, its going to last for decades, I know where its been and every adventure and battle scar it has, they will have happened with me wearing it. I'm not selling it, ever, so resale means diddly to me.

Its your only Nice watch, I think you have found a new one you can try on, touch and feel for a good price. for that you get the way nice case of goodies etc so unless its Mr Aldrins first on the moon that you have somehow found, its new for me. JMHO. Either way you go my friend enjoy. O and post an on the wrist picture please.

Edited Oct 4, 2017
  18. repoman Oct 4, 2017

Unfortunately, there's no shortcuts. It takes a lot of time and effort to find bargains out there, but they are out there. Keep an eye on the forums closely, engage with other forum members and build your network, always be on the hunt and ready to pounce, and opportunities will slowly materialize. Best examples tend to be bought/sold between collectors and inner circles, and sometimes right here on the marketplace. This stellar '69 was found in a vintage watch shop, and I would have never found it without the help of forum member @JohnSteed who took me through all kinds of back alley ways in Hong Kong that I could have never found on my own.
    69speedy.jpg

19. Dial & Bezel Oct 4, 2017

I totally agree. eBay can be a very good place to score a good deal but it's not without its dangers. It takes a lot of time, effort, experience and, most importantly, patience to find one with a reasonable price these days.

Good luck, buddy! :thumbsup:

20. Seaborg Oct 4, 2017