Forums Latest Members

Really weird quartz Omega seamaster anomaly! HELP !

1. syrok Mar 27, 2019

Hi all I am planning to buy this watch!
    Could you help me check if its legit?
    Its supposed to be a 1981 semaster brest, but I could not find any with this color.
    There are some weird thing with this watch ! According to the vintage omega catalouge, this watch (MD 196.0236) only came out gold plated ! And as you can clearly see on the photos, this is not gold plated at all ( did someone just remove it ? or is it a case from another seamaster ? is the online catalouge wrong ?)
    And the dial should not be this color. as it only was sold with silver, and gilt, and gold color
    I did found a Seamaster, Ref. 396.0888 with this exact dial, but are they interchangable ?
    ( https://shop.connoisseuroftime.com/...s-gray-dial-quartz-watch-date-stainless-steel )
    I tried to check this watch on every avaible omega group, forum etc, but i still have some doubts
    It all seems legit,the crown, the back, the dial, it just does not add up
    Is this just a weird "frankenwatch", or is it any chance that this wast sold by omega as it is ?
    Also what should be a reasonable price for it?
    Appriciate any help, Thanks!

IMG_0874.jpg IMG_0875.jpg IMG_0876.jpg IMG_0877.jpg IMG_0878.jpg
  2. syrok Mar 27, 2019

Also should the glass have any markings ?

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 27, 2019

It's a normal variant from a time when Omega's star wasn't as bright as it is now.
    Two references, one for a bracelet version, one for a strap.
    Many dials were available and various cases were produced, not all are in the OVDB.
    Crystal is mineral glass and will not have Ω as with plexi crystals.

4. syrok Mar 27, 2019

so in your opinion this is 100% legit, and i should not worry about it ?
    any tip on the pricing ?
    Thanks for your answer :)

5. Canuck Mar 27, 2019

Two questions re: value, actually. How much would most serious watch collectors pay? For quartz, not very much. For you? Different question. You say you are planning to buy it. There won’t likely be a whole lot of completion, so bargain hard and pay as little as possible.

syrok likes this.
  6. syrok Mar 27, 2019

The asking price is around 250 dollars

7. Canuck Mar 27, 2019

Tell the seller that you like the watch, but not at that price, and see what happens. Time is on your side since it is unlikely he’ll be slammed with offers.

syrok likes this.
  8. MRC Mar 27, 2019

I would go for that, it's an attractive piece and an attractive price too. Just be warned that the cost of service is going to exceed the purchase price quite significantly so if hasn't been serviced recently you have a lever.

If you decide not to buy it would you let me know where you found it?

Mine is a couple of years before, gold plated with a earlier movement.

PA230186m.JPG

9. syrok Mar 27, 2019

Thanks for the info !
    If i remember correctly, i think he said that it has been cleaned, "oiled" and comes with a new battery, but i will ask him again.
    Where are you located ? I dont think that he would willingly post is outside our country, but if i wont buy it, i will ask him also
    Given the serial number the watch is from aroung 1983-84, but i couldnt find any info on how long was this model produced, it only said that its sold from 1981

10. MRC Mar 27, 2019

Paperwork to confirm that would be a good idea.
    I'm in the UK, but I have bought a considerably more expensive watch from the USA before so have a reference.

Information from this period is very sketchy, I haven't pinned down the correct reference for my own watch and I have owned it since 1982!

Edit to add: It seems to have the correct buckle in a rather out of focus shot. Another plus point in my view.

syrok likes this.
  11. syrok Mar 27, 2019

I have been trying to find any info of the exact buckle/strap that was originally sold with it, and the box also, but could find any decent info about it, but i checked the buckle thread, so i will be looking for any of the 4 markings

12. syrok Mar 27, 2019

13. MRC Mar 27, 2019

In small scale production (which Omega were) that all sorts of intermediate arrangements appear.

Look, this is not a $200,000 watch which would be worthy of such careful examination, if you like it and think the recent service is genuine then buy it. It is not an heirloom, it is never going to increase in value, in 10 years it will probably be worth about what you paid for it. Plus whatever smiles it has put on your face [smiles not redeemable for cash]. If you want an original box & papers there is a set somewhere in landfill near Natick, MA which is where the box for mine went after the next garbage collection in October 1982.

Wear, smile.
    Rinse & repeat.

14. syrok Apr 8, 2019

15. ironmandreamer Mar 6, 2020

Jim in Oz

I’m hoping you’re in Australia. I’m in Fremantle WA.

Just to your point above, where did you get this information from regarding the Omega Vintage Data Base. Could that extend to a Speedmaster circa 1991/2?

Most people think it’s Gospel.

Thanks

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 6, 2020

The OVDB generally only has one example of a reference, usually by case number.
    While it's a good reference point, there have been anomalies identified by various users.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 7, 2020

Yes, far from complete and sometimes far from accurate.