Forums Latest Members

Really uncommon.... Enicar Automatic Chronometer

1. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 5, 2017

Hello Everyone....

Once again one for the books.... I recently got this watch and have to thank a friend for making the transaction happen.... I have also been Pming @MMMD about this watch.....

This watch checks alot of boxes for me as a collector...

Case design : I love the lugs , the case is made by EPSA Piquere and its a precursor to the Super Compressor Case... EPSA-STOP as its signed inside the caseback. Manufacture 1-56. It also has its original signed crown.

Dial Design : This watch is like the Early Seapearl Dive watch dial , the Snake like fully lumed sweep seconds very cool... Fully lumed hands and dial.... gota set off the Geiger Counter !

Movement : It has a 30 j automatic chronometer grade movement. i have come across very few Enicar automatic chronometers . This really uncommon, I have seen three over the last 10 years of looking... One in Rose gold last posted by @MMMD and I have same model in steel with a EPSA signed caseback and now this example ...

If you look closely on the caseback you will see a 4 digit number , that matches the movement serial number !! I have only seen this on the Three chronometer examples from Enicar .....

This example is a uncommon execution from Enicar , consider its in its " Seapearl " Diver style case and dial. The Seapearl was a manual wind diver , and then its has a 30 j auto chronometer movement too boot !!!

I will let @MMMD share his thoughts on this models origin... and other insights...

Enjoy

dial1.jpg dial2.jpg.jpg dial3.jpg dial4.jpg dial6.jpg mov1.jpg mov2.jpg mov3.jpg mov4.jpg baCK1.jpg INSIDEBK.jpg INSIDEBACK2.jpg

I was very happy to get this...

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 5, 2017

Dibs! And thoughts to follow.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  3. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 5, 2017

Hey

just posted the photos of the Enicar..... I set you up to post your comments that you PM me.... I did not want to paraphrase your comments and I think the community would enjoy it as well....

Best regards

BIll

TexOmega likes this.
  4. TexOmega Aug 5, 2017

Great looking Enicar, and very early diver. I was unaware of them making it in a chronometer version.

Edited Aug 5, 2017
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 6, 2017

That is a watch to get lost in. The amount of detail on the original design is amazing. Plus chronometer divers from that period are far from common.

Then you get to the movement decoration... surprising little watch.

6. TexOmega Aug 6, 2017

This is the SeaPearl dive version you referenced in your first post. But mine has a AR 1034 automatic movement. It was manufactured in the short window where Sherpas was still in use on the dial.

Enicar Sherpas.JPG

circa late 1956.JPG

IMG_9396.JPG

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 6, 2017

Very unusual watch. Love the dial and seconds hand.

Two questions:

1. What is the caliber of the movement?

2. What does "100/76 Aa NS" as written on the caseback mean?

Enjoy!
    gatorcpa

8. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2017

HI @TexOmega

Yes , mine was produced jan of 56 before the Everest expedition .. so no Sherpas or Sherpa on dial or caseback ...

Here is a photo of a Manual wind seapearl

IMG_3237.JPG IMG_3238.JPG

Giff2577 and Northernman like this.
  9. TexOmega Aug 6, 2017

Nice SeaPearl

The initial one is Very Special......early and chronometer and the cool dial design....congratulations.

I find they wear very nicely on the wrist with the turtle lugs.

Gator
    The numbers on the case back designate the caliber inside(first numerals) and the reference afterwards, if I understand correctly.

10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 6, 2017

Well I was thinking that this is now the best candidate I've seen for the model provided to the 1956 Swiss Everest/Lhotse Expedition... the grand-daddy of all Enicar "Sherpas."

We know from Albert Eggler's book on the 1956 Swiss expedition that Enicar supplied "automatic" watches to the Swiss team. Subsequent "Everest expedition" magazine ads for Enicar "Sherpa" watches showed a turtle-lugged watch resembling a Seapearl 600. And I recently discovered a photo of a member of that expediton, confirming that the expedition watches had turtle lugs and black dials. I would expect nothing less than a chronometer-rated movement for such a momentous endeavor. The case-back date of 1-56 is a bit close for an actual expedition watch... the participants left Genoa for Mumbai some time in February of 1956, it seems... but the group was raising funds and donations from industry in December 1955, and base camp was not set up until early April 1956, so it's possible that these special watches were provided brand-new in January-February 1956 or sent on to the group later in the winter/spring. Finally, Enicar did not obtain the Sherpa trademark until late 1956, after the expedition, so I wouldn't expect to see "Sherpas" or "Sherpa" on an actual expedition watch.

Here is a photo of 1956 Everest/Lhotse Expedition member Ernst Reiss, with his Enicar:
    IMG_5681.JPG
    http://www.alpinfo.ch/rueckblick/en/expeditions/bilder56.html

Edited Aug 6, 2017
    JohnSteed, Giff2577, Vitezi and 3 others like this.
  11. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2017

@TexOmega

Just need to find the right strap or bracelet for that automatic......

BIll

12. TexOmega Aug 6, 2017

Yours or mine?

I found a BOR bracelet I wear with mine now.

BOR bracelet.JPG

It's an Omega branded one and 0.5mm skinny, but I like the look and comfort and still on the search for an Enicar version.

Edited Aug 6, 2017
    noelekal and Vitezi like this.
  13. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2017

Hi @MMMD

Thanks for the info.... That is very exciting news..... Now this watch is even "more" special...

Question what do you suggest I use for a strap? as I dont this a steel bracelet would be proper for outdoor server cold weather activity...

Maybe a old school three pieces strap with a leather backer.... I bought a few from ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Calidad-Mar...m-20mm-/131728448415?var=&hash=item645fcc4095Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

have both 18 mm long black and brown... I think Tan would have been killer but dont that that color on hand.

Bill

Vitezi and MMMD like this.
  14. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 6, 2017

Yes, thick brown leather strap for authenticity.
    IMG_6096.JPG

Vitezi and Bill Sohne like this.
  15. TexOmega Aug 6, 2017

Gator, Bill's would be a AR1034 as on the movement but tweaked to chronometer status, love their artwork on the movement.

The "100" designates the AR10xx series. The AR1010 did reach the COSC standard for chronometer certification, eventually Enicar made and certified their own movements they called SuperTest.

Edited Aug 6, 2017
  16. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2017

ok STAY TUNED !!!!!!

Bill

17. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2017

Hi @MMMD

Here ya go !!!!

IMG_5974.JPG

All ready for my assent !

Good hunting

Bill

IMG_5975.JPG IMG_5976.JPG
  18. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 6, 2017

The AR 1034 is of course a Schild movement (the AS 1391), used in chronometers by many different brands in the 1950's. This model has the same movement, with similar finish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Aug 6, 2017
  19. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2017

Hi @MMMD

Please post pic of your caseback and inside caseback...

best

bill

20. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2017

Hi @MMMD

Here is the only other Enicar waterproof automatic chronometer I have come across... I bought this at the Watch Collection Pfeiffer-Belli 2byAuctionata Paddle 8 AG Feb 28th 2014.....

dial1.jpg dial2.jpg crown.jpg back.jpg back2.jpg watch.jpg dial3.jpg

Enicar Ultrasonic chronometer wristwatch
    Switzerland, around 1952
    Automatic movement, calibre A-R1034; 30 jewels, hour, minute, second
    Silver dial, silver hands
    Watch case and crown of stainless steel
    Black leather strap with pin buckle
    Watch case no. 2935
    Movement no. 2935
    Maker’s mark on dial, crown, watch case and movement
    Case diameter: 34 mm; Height: 10 mm
    Length of strap: 20 cm; Lugs width: 17 mm
    Total weight: 38 g
    Fully functional, good condition with slight traces of wear

This chronometer wristwatch by Enicar was made in Switzerland around 1952. The watch is fitted with an automatic movement calibre A-R1034 with 30 jewels and displays hour, minute and second. The silver dial shows silver hands. Watch case and crown are made of stainless steel. The watch has a black leather strap with pin buckle. The watch case number is 2935. The movement number is 2935. Maker’s mark on dial, crown, watch case and movement.

The watch case measures 34 mm in diameter and 10 mm in height. The watch weighs 38 grams.

Also the Brevet number 314962 is a reference to a super compressor case....

See web site below

http://scubawatch.org/EPSA_SC_FAQ.html

So @MMMD so far we have three automatic Enicar w 30 j chronometer marked movements....

there are more out there !!!!

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

JimJupiter, TexOmega and MMMD like this.