Forums Latest Members
  1. aledmann Feb 5, 2016

I'm just about to buy this watch and wanted to check it's authenticity with you all. To me it looks legit (apart from the strap which is fine). What are the experts opinions? Thanks guys (oh and first post!!) :) omega-2.JPG omega-3.JPG omega-4.JPG omega-5.JPG

2. tyrantlizardrex Feb 5, 2016

The case back looks to have been quite heavily polished...

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 5, 2016

Authentic, yes, worth buying probably not.

Watch looks polished, movement looks tired.

4. aledmann Feb 5, 2016

Thanks guys. When you say "movement looks tired" what do you mean? Sorry just keen to learn so I know how to spot a decent one!

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 5, 2016

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 5, 2016

Notice how all of the main parts are not the same color?

It should all be this color.

198367-cbe8fa74ae198ebed5e0a4539f299eec.jpg

RawArcher and NT931 like this.
  7. aledmann Feb 5, 2016

Ah ha! OK top tip thank you!!

8. aledmann Feb 6, 2016

Interestingly @X350 XJR , I came accross another watch (see link for image). These are more gold than copper...so is this another example of tired movement? Many thanks!

http://goo.gl/oJNqa6

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 6, 2016

Yes.

Omega movements should not be yellow colored.

aledmann likes this.
  10. aledmann Feb 6, 2016

Awesome. Feel much more confident shopping on eBay now! Thanks guys!!

11. aledmann Feb 6, 2016

So when they are yellow coloured (rather than a reddish copper) does this mean that all the parts (that are yellow) are replacements? For example, is this another Omega with replaced parts?

http://goo.gl/Nm0Zes

If yes, how are they stamped with Omega? Are these OEM parts or fake? Apologies for all the questions!!

12. aledmann Feb 6, 2016

Another one I like the look of but I can't tell if the movement is a replacement?
    omega-1.jpg omega-2.jpg

13. ChrisN Feb 6, 2016

I think you're misunderstanding a little, what @X350 XJR is saying. All the movements in this thread look original but, if they've been neglected (or left in the cleaning solution for a long time) then they lose their finish.

The first one you showed had a poor finish on everything except the auto bridge (the one that @X350 XJR pointed to). Likely, this bridge was replaced at some point (could just be the Watchmaker had two open and mixed the parts but, any good professional wouldn't do that) but everything is Omega.

The last one has consistent colouring which is good and still has a finish but, I don't like the marks on the rotor. It's hard to tell but the jewels look dry which is not good but all that can be solved with a service. On the other hand, the dial is poor so, I would keep looking.

By the way, be careful of photos like the first one as they are very overexposed so things look better than they are. To look at some nice watches, go to the Private sales forum here and see if people are liking a watch. Much safer than eBay if you're a beginner. @X350 XJR seems to have a good eye and lists some great pieces, as do others.

Note that it's hard to photograph these movements with consistent lighting so sometimes the parts appear different colours.

Cheers, Chris

OMTOM and aledmann like this.
  14. aledmann Feb 6, 2016

Great advice, thanks @ChrisN. Learning a lot here! Would you mind sharing how you know "the dial is poor"? Just so I know what to look for.

15. ChrisN Feb 6, 2016

Hi aledmann

The dial is the main part of the watch that you see so you want something you're happy with. The one above is a bit grubby so, I'd take it slowly and be sure you get what you will be happy to look at.

Don't have anything the same on my phone but, I think you're looking in the £500 range? I paid a bit less for this (it was a bit more but has a BOR bracelet). I'd rather be looking at this.
    crystal post.jpg
    I know it's different but you get my point, I think. Buy something you will really like and will not want to change, especially if this is your first vintage.

Cheers, Chris

16. aledmann Feb 6, 2016

Ah sorry I thought you meant poor quality. Yeah I do like the black but 100% prefer the white / stainless steel look (I've never been a gold fan). I think this makes it even more difficult as it seems you get away with less on a lighter dial!!

17. ChrisN Feb 6, 2016

Sorry, I just meant it looks a bit dirty and stained, I was not trying to convert you to "the dark side". Here's something more in your line but you can see the dial is nice and clean - should be possible easily in your budget. Again, not the best picture...
    silver dial.jpg

Ravineman likes this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 7, 2016

Good summary Chris. One thing I will point out is that the colour you see in a photo can be quite deceiving. I have taken 2 photos in succession at the bench when working on a nice copper coloured movement where one looks copper, and the next looks quite yellow due to lighting differences. Certainly if a watch has one plate that looks very different from the others, it's easier to tell, but if they all look yellow it's not so clear if it's the real colour or just the photo.

One thing I will say is that I don't think neglect causes the plating to come off, and actually feel it's more that the watch has been cleaned many times rather than neglected that would lead to this happening. I also wonder if Omega had some issues with plating at times, because I've had watches come in where large sections of the movement have had the plating come off as soon as the movement is touched. Poor adherence of the plating plays a roll in this too I believe.

Cheers, Al

OMTOM and ChrisN like this.
  19. aledmann Feb 7, 2016

Beautiful example! I'll keep my eyes peeled!! How can you tell it's not a redial though?

Also can you replace a strap on a model like that for a leather one or is that not possible?

20. OSP Feb 7, 2016

To be able to start spotting stuff you need to do a lot of your own research. That is why I purchased a new Omega and it will be a long time before I purchase a vintage one.