Forums Latest Members
  1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jun 28, 2015

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121668645987Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Paid enough, so someone else thought it was real...

but on the back is says "DEPOSE SWISS". Erm... not SUISSE?

Tom

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 28, 2015

95% of Omega buckles found on eBay are replicas. This one is no exception.
    gatorcpa

KIMBER likes this.
  3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jun 28, 2015

Ah, too bad.

Tom

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 29, 2015

also two different buckles shown in pics
    An omega buckle would never have the imprint 'hanging' off the edge of the metal

5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jun 29, 2015

JimInOz likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 29, 2015

Good attitude Tom. You're not trying to pass it off to anybody as a "genuine Omega" etc. It suits your purpose and looks like it was made for an Omega.

I've seen much uglier copies, that one is reasonably close to a 1960s style.

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 6, 2015

I've been looking to see if any more information is hiding, and came across this:

http://omega-constellation-collecto.../omega-constellation-accessories-1952-75.html

If you look at his straps and buckles PDF, he shows the exact same buckle I have, stampings and all. Do any of you know this person and whether he is well versed in what he's sharing?

Two examples, I'm willing to call my buckle real. A little hand polishing with Simichrome and it looks a lot more presentable.

Tom

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 6, 2015

Tom,

The author is Desmond Guilfoyle, and as @mondodec is a member of this and other forums. He is well qualified and has provided guidance to many of us, mainly on Constellations but also on other Omega items.

Cheers

Jim

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 6, 2015

I've been corresponding with Desmond (@mondodec) for years, and yes he knows his onions, and Constellations, too! He's been tagged and likely will post a response, if he sees this. He has forgotten more than I know.

I see a similar buckle top on p.3, but not the underneath stampings. Some replicas are made by taking a casting of an original, then putting a fresh "Depose" stamp on the underside. I have some questions regarding the location and font used on the eBay buckle.

The rivet looks fresh to my eyes.
    gatorcpa

10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 6, 2015

I should think it would look at least a little fresh since I've been hand-polishing.

Maybe these will help.

Front

Back

Tom

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 6, 2015

Well, I only saw the pictures on eBay.

Here's a crappy picture of a couple of my buckles.

[​IMG]

Usually the rivets are more prominent. Now these are US market buckles. They just say "Omega" on the back.

There are dozens of legitimate styles both locally made and Swiss. It's just that I've never seen the style of writing like yours or that type of rivet before.

As I said above, yours could be real, but I'm generally skeptical of eBay buckles. And I buy a lot of watches on eBay.
    gatotcpa

12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 6, 2015

Nothing wrong with skepticism! But in this case I'm willing to side with optimism. :)

(I'm using the buckle either way, It Just Looks Cool.)

Tom

Giff2577 likes this.
  13. TNTwatch Jul 7, 2015

The buckle's front looks ok, but the back looks weird with the wrong writing and the rivet mark that holds nothing there. Also the key/pin looks small and short, unlike any of the known real ones out there.

14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 7, 2015

The pin being wrong wouldn't surprise me... that would be an easy part to lose.

Tom