Forums Latest Members
  1. Taitenger May 22, 2017

This watch was just passed down to me and I was told that it was real. Of course, I looked online to research the year this watch was made and to learn the history behind it being as I am a huge watch enthusiast and this is my first Omega. When looking online, I was troubled because I was not able to find any other vintage Seamster De Ville's that looked quite like this. I brought the watch to a jeweler who confirmed that is real, but I am still not convinced. The jeweler did not open it up, but I plan on getting it polished and cleaned once I can tell for sure that it is the real deal. In looking online at videos of the automatic movement this watch should have, the dial does "sweep" as it is supposed to. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Watch.jpg Watch 2.jpg Watch 3.jpg Watch 4.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 22, 2017

Good for you for doing your own research. If you'll share the movement caliber and the case reference number, you'll get a lot more answers. I'm going to guess that the dial has been refinished but others will confirm.

Taitenger likes this.
  3. BenBagbag May 22, 2017

It is hard to know without seeing the inside, but it is probably from the 70's. Not my area of expertise at all but those hands sure do look a bit long. Gives me the impression that the dial was different or the hands have been changed.

We usually don't talk in terms of fake or real - we talk in terms of original or restored, or a mix-and-match of parts (franken[stein]). I'd bet the watch movement is genuine, and the case and crown probably are too. The real question is whether the dial has been refinished. And I'm sure others here can say with more certainty.

Pictures of the inside case back and movement would get you a certain answer.

Taitenger likes this.
  4. Taitenger May 22, 2017

Thank you. I will post those on here once I have a professional open the casing. I have gathered that refinishing is pretty common, no?

5. Taitenger May 22, 2017

Thank you for the insight. I will be heading to a watch repair shop tomorrow to have a professional open it up. I will post pictures of the inside tomorrow to give you all the best information on the watch. Sadly many places around me are closed on Monday, I was really trying to get it opened today.

Interesting you mentioned the hands, I did not even notice how long they were until you said something. I was fixated on the length of the minute lines.

6. kreyke May 22, 2017

It is common but collectors tends to like untouched cases. Even if it means that it has scratch marks.

I'd advise you not to polish it.

7. michael22 May 22, 2017

Your watch has a nice, sharp case- don't get it polished.
    Just clean it with a soft cloth or paper towel damped with baby oil.

Taitenger likes this.
  8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 22, 2017

Un-lumed dial un-lumed hands, dial appears to be original.

Plenty of unusual looking dials appeared on these SDVs.

Again, as noted previously do not have the watch polished and be sure to take it to a watchmaker and not some random jewelry/battery changing kiosk.

Taitenger and BenBagbag like this.
  9. BenBagbag May 22, 2017

@X350 XJR for the win. But do you think the hands are original?

10. michael22 May 22, 2017

The hands match the index markers perfectly.

Taitenger likes this.
  11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 22, 2017

I think so, they reach all the way out to the tips of the minute ticks. Something shorter would look odd on one of these.

Same dial from a random web download some years ago.

sdv20.jpg

Taitenger and BenBagbag like this.
  12. Taitenger May 22, 2017

I will be sure to go to an actual watchmaker. I am driving out of my way to be sure that I only let a professional open up the watch. I really appreciate all of the info and insight from the forum!

Also, so impresses X350 XJR found a picture of the same model I have.

BenBagbag and efauser like this.