Forums Latest Members
  1. Walrus Sep 5, 2019

so in the past I have bought a couple nice watches at pawn shops. One being an older omega that was a nice find. The other day I brought a Rolex down to see if they were interested. I didn’t expect to make a deal but before I trade it I’m trying to check a few things out. So the gentleman behind the counter breaks out his loop and says “I think you have a fake Rolex here” now I’ve had this watch verified and it’s a gold watch. I didn’t mean to but I laughed at him. Mind you not in a pompous I know better than you it was an involuntary reaction. Strange thing is I brought it down a month prior and he was very interested and asked me to come back when his watch guy was in. I was a bit perplexed but took my watch and left. Also this watch was bought in the diamond district in NYC. I’m not saying that guarantees anything but competition is tough in the diamond district and these places don’t want to ruin established business’s selling fake watches. You can buy a watch in the diamond district walk 20 feet down the street and try to sell it to check it’s authenticity. Anyway I just found the whole thing funny and was curious if anyone ran into anything like this. By the way it was one of those upscale pawn shops not a junk one.

DaveK likes this.
  2. Evitzee Sep 5, 2019

Perhaps the dial was a replacement, that happens sometimes. There are many good Rolex fakes running around, it's often hard to tell unless you open it up. Pawn shops and used dealers are like used car salesman; if you are looking to buy a used item they sing its praises, if you are looking to sell they will run it down and tell you it's a piece of junk.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  3. Walrus Sep 5, 2019

No it’s all original. Had that all checked out but I hear what you are saying. I guess the guy didn’t know his stuff but it’s all good. I wouldn’t have let him open that after that anyway.

4. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 5, 2019

Pawn shops? They are about 2 levels below used car salesmen

Walrus, blufinz52 and apsm100 like this.
  5. drhombus24 Sep 5, 2019

Take it to the rsc in NYC, if you’re not too far. They’ve helped me out before. That’s the only way to know for sure

6. JwRosenthal Sep 5, 2019

I think he was trying to screw you walrus. You have shown movement pics of it-it’s real.
    Don’t go back to that sheister

CaptainWinsor likes this.
  7. Walrus Sep 5, 2019

U could be correct JW too bad as I bought a watch from them, just a nice seiko but I stopped by once in a while, they lost my business, also bought a Hofner bass from them, I’m a big McCartney fan but the hofner didn’t make me play as nice as him

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 5, 2019

Their job is to buy as cheaply as possible, and sell for as much as they can.

I personally think bringing a watch to a pawn broker for a value assessment is at a minimum a big waste of time.

nzshadow likes this.
  9. Pepe Lucas Sep 5, 2019

Most of the time the people there don’t know the difference between a real Rolex or a fake one. In two different occasions and in two different pawn shops I saw fake Rolex watches. On both places they said that their district manager authenticated the watches but they were fake.

10. Wryfox Sep 6, 2019

I have alot of experience with pawn shops. He said it to gauge your reaction and what you'll say. If you're the slightest bit susceptible to what he said, he would have ridden it to conclusion and given you next to nothing.

ALOT of people go to pawn shops after an estate...ie they inherited uncle joe's watches or whatever....ie most don't know a damn thing about what they are selling. Pawn shops prey on that relentlessly.

There is an old adage in the pawn shop industry...."you make your money when you buy".