Forums Latest Members

Reading comprehension test

1. ulackfocus May 21, 2018

NO SPOILERS!!!! No editing of your post(s) either!

A rancher promises his 14 year old daughter she can have her very own horse, one that she will choose, break, and care for all by herself. The teen has helped break horses before, assisting her father saddle them for the first time, and learning from him as he trained the young equines over the course of several months. During foaling, the girl is at the fence of the pasture almost every free second she has, watching the babies take their first steps and shortly after start to prance.

After several weeks, her father comes to her side at the fence and asks if she's made her selection. "Yes, dad!" the adolescent proclaims, "I'd like Aurora's foal." Her father smiles, believing his offspring made a good choice as Aurora is a well mannered filly, and knows his daughter as she would frequently ride the nag, so it's a relatively easy progression. He then asks "What would you like to name your new horse?" She pauses with a blank look on her face, and it's obvious she hasn't given any consideration to this. "What do you think?" she asks her father. Her dad shrugs his shoulders and says that's her decision, then gets back in his truck to get back to work.

A few minutes later, the vet shows up and chats with the teen. They discuss the care of the young animal, which is somewhat familiar to the girl. Finally, before heading in to the barn to get to work, the vet asks "What are you going to name your new horse?" to which the girls says "I'm not sure yet. What do you think?"

The same question is asked of the 14 year old over the next few days. Her mother, the ranch hands, her friends, and siblings all want to know what she's going to name the horse, and she always asks them what they think. Finally, at dinner a week later, she announces to her family that she's decided on a name.

What Do You Think is the horse's name.

connieseamaster likes this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 21, 2018

What Do You Think

3. Dan S May 21, 2018

Seems clear to me. Is there a question?

khmt2, JimInOz, shishy and 6 others like this.
  4. Canuck May 21, 2018

The horse’s name is “What Do You Think”.

Foo2rama and Larry S like this.
  5. JustTheBezel May 21, 2018

So that's all? What Do You Think is the name.

6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 21, 2018

So, why are you telling us this story about the girl and her horse, ‘What Do You Think’?

Please Justify Dennis. :)

ulackfocus likes this.
  7. mayankyadav May 21, 2018

Is there a question to readers ? I don't see any :p.

8. Oku May 21, 2018

shishy, akshayluc420 and ulackfocus like this.
  9. Mtek May 21, 2018

The horses name is Dennis loves Speedmasters.

10. Waltesefalcon May 21, 2018

I don't know what the question is but the answer is 42.

11. ulackfocus May 21, 2018

You failed but in the funniest way. :p

Mtek likes this.
  12. Ninja2789 May 21, 2018

The horse's name should be "It's Your Decision" because the prompt states the daughter actually ASKS the question. It's in the form of a question, not the form of a statement. Additionally, the dad responds "It's Your Decision", and I imagine that's the response from everyone else.

"Dennis Loves Speedmasters" was my second choice.

Mtek and BatDad like this.
  13. kkt May 21, 2018

Who's on first?

14. e-5_USMC-2002 May 21, 2018

:thumbsup:I thought this was about Speedmasters

Taddyangle likes this.
  15. wsfarrell May 21, 2018

16. ulackfocus May 21, 2018

Actually, you fail in an even harsher manner. First off, the dad's response is NOT "It's Your Decision" at all - in fact, his answer is NOT even quoted, let alone each word beginning in capital letters. Second, the last sentence is NOT in the form of a question at all - do you see a question mark at the end? No, you don't - because it's a statement that What Do You Think is the horse's name. All of those 4 words are in capital letters, as they should be for a name.

Edited May 21, 2018
    Ninja2789 likes this.
  17. mr_yossarian May 21, 2018

pictures or it didn't happen!

redpcar and ulackfocus like this.
  18. ulackfocus May 21, 2018

So, to completely pass this reading comprehension test, you should have said nothing.... or at the most, commented that it was a nice story. There is no answer because no question was asked of the readers. Even commenting that you knew the horse was named What Do You Think is breaking the NO SPOILERS!!!! rule posted at the very start.

Yes, pictures would have helped distract people even more!

19. mr_yossarian May 21, 2018

Thought this was the smartest way to cover my stupidity :)

20. e-5_USMC-2002 May 21, 2018

Problem solved, Hi-jacked your thread. It’s been Speedmastered

image.jpg
    Darlinboy and mr_yossarian like this.