Forums Latest Members
  1. Jeanettek Nov 13, 2018

My original post evidently was taken down. Perhaps because it was thought I was trying to sell this watch via this forum. I am not. If I sell it, it will likely be via eBay or something local. Currently I am just researching its background to try to determine its value…or as it says in this forum's posting guide, a "ballpark valuation". The watch belonged to my recently late father-in-law. As such, It has great sentimental value for my husband and myself. This research is to get an idea of its value, its history and anything else we can find out.

For example, one reply mentioned some signs of wear with the mechanism. Unfortunately, the original post was removed before I had a chance to really look at what the poster was talking about.

There had been a comment about the bracelet / watch-band being almost as valuable as the watch itself. I had read something similar during my research–that this particular type of bracelet/band is very rare. That said, my husband doesn't particularly like the band. Is it out of the ordinary to sell the bracelet/band but not the watch?

Also, there was a reply providing some information that should be useful in a Google search. Again, the original post was deleted before I could record that info.

Original Post:
    ----------------
    I am a complete novice when it comes to Omega Watches. My Father-In-Law purchased this Omega Seamaster Chronometer watch when he was in Switzerland in 1969. Neither my husband or I are watch enthusiasts, therefore, we are looking for a good home for this watch. However, there is so much we don’t know, and we are hoping somebody here might be able to help out. This is what we know:

Purchased in Switzerland in 1969 (my husband was on the trip and rememberers it well)

Serial Number is: 28769008
    Omega mark 751
    Twenty-four Jewels
    Self winding / time & date
    SS / Gold Plated Band

Here are the photos we took at the watch repair shop.
    IMG_3248.jpg IMG_3252.jpg IMG_3250.jpg IMG_3214.jpg IMG_3193.jpg

Does this information identify what the case is made of? (Gold? Plated?)
    If we were to see this online, are there any opinions of a fair asking price?

Thanks so much!!

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 13, 2018

Your watch is a reference CD 168.0023. It has a 14ct gold capped stainless steel case and SS caseback, the bracelet is 20 micron gold plate over stainless steel "Grains of Rice" bracelet, reference 1068 with 555 end links.

It is a very close relative to the elusive "Golden Seamaster", but in a steel case.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-seamaster-omega-ba-168-0023

The movement is a caliber 751, a chronometer grade movement introduced in 1967. The movement serial number dates the watch to approx 1969.

There appears to be wear on the inside of the caseback and on the inner radius of the rotor, most likely caused by a worn rotor bush and or a worn rotor post.

The dial pictures are not that clear. Does the dial have a frosted or "sparkly" effect?

Jeanettek, JanV, ChrisN and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jeanettek Nov 13, 2018

The face looks to be very, lightly "glittery"…so perhaps sparkly? I'll try to get a better picture soonest.

Regarding the wear on the inside of the caseback; I see a few curved, parallel scratches (above, right of the Omega "triangle"), I assume that is what you are pointing out. You said caused by a worn rotor brush and/or rotor post…that doesn't sound too bad. That said, my concern regarding repair would be finding a watchmaker that is authorized to work on Omegas…might be difficult in this part of Virginia. :D

I was wondering what the 555 stamped on the bracelet meant! Thanks for solving that mystery.

My husband indicated that his father bought this during a trip/tour of Europe, that included Switzerland, in the summer of 1970 so that matches well with your information regarding it being introduced in 1967.

All of this information you and the rest of the people on this forum are providing is incredibly interesting. Thanks so much. :)

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 13, 2018

still open to a white gold sparkle if anyone wants to give one up! :D

awesome info @JimInOz!

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 13, 2018

Gorgeous gold capped chronometer.

Jeanettek likes this.
  6. MCC Nov 14, 2018

Interesting watch, are the marks that we can see on the dial or the crystal?

7. Dan S Nov 14, 2018

Don’t repair it if you are going to sell it. Just put it on eBay with GOOD photos.

Jeanettek likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 14, 2018

Looks like the crystal, could be polished out with toothpaste but if it's going on eBay I'd leave as is and just describe it as such.

Agree, this model is sought after and I'm sure it will go well if properly described with good photos.

Jeanettek and Dan S like this.
  9. Jeanettek Nov 15, 2018

The marks are on the crystal. The dial looks to be in excellent condition.

10. Jeanettek Nov 15, 2018

Thank you so much everyone for all your help, tips, and information! It has really helped us understand and appreciate this watch!!

After long deliberation, we have decided to part with the watch, despite it’s deep sentimental value.

We are working on the eBay listing. @JimInOz , you mentioned the need for good photos, are the interior photos we posted sufficient? Also, are there any specific types of photos collectors look for?

Again, thanks for your help. Great site for noobs to learn about vintage Omega watches. :)