Forums Latest Members
  1. SpaceCowboy78 Jan 10, 2019

Can it be done with Omega service center? due to scratches of removing the bracelet, changing straps etc etc... sanded it a little & polished under the lugs of my speedy & totally forgot the serial number was there now its a bit blurry lol! not a really big deal just wondering if it can be done? pro's cons?

Just a few things to consider my speedy is year old. came from an AD : ) sapphire sandwich so its got an display back so technically i still have a serial number on the movement which matches with my papers : )

2. SpaceCowboy78 Jan 10, 2019

old pic here's the guy :mad:

[​IMG]

3. italy1861 Jan 10, 2019

Any pics of the damage? I’m just surprised you sanded your watch...

4. ilayd Jan 10, 2019

And only after wearing it for a year, too!

mayankyadav likes this.
  5. Canuck Jan 10, 2019

If the serial number is at all readable, I suggest you leave it as is. I doubt it will be possible to make a convincing job of re-doing it, leaving doubt as to whether the watch is real, or a fake.

noelekal and Impondering like this.
  6. SpaceCowboy78 Jan 10, 2019

Lol yeah i know its sounds dumb :confused: but i used the lightest grit sand paper just remove the tiny marls the spring bars left:oops:

7. SpaceCowboy78 Jan 10, 2019

i know i know lol::facepalm1::

8. SpaceCowboy78 Jan 10, 2019

its actually still readable but a bit blurry::shy:: i don't think it would leave any doubts if its real or a fake. since the serial number on the movement is clearly visible on the movement & matches the Omega cards:D " benefits of having a display case back" ::bleh::

9. SpaceCowboy78 Jan 10, 2019

regarding pic no didn't took any :oops: bought it to the AD today left it there they're sending it Omega. might need a case replacement... i just hoping when they replace the case i still have the same serial on the case:D but im still confirming everything before i give the go signal.

my biggest worries is the wait time::shy::

10. g-boac Jan 10, 2019

I believe that you can order a serialized replacement case, and, that the replacement case is serialized with the same number as your existing case, on an exchange basis. Meaning, that you send your existing case in along with payment, and Omega exchanges it for a new one, engraved with your original serial number. And to be clear, it is not something that you can do directly, but something that you can do through an Omega Boutique, Service Centre, AD, or Omega-licensed independent watchmaker. (And if done through a Boutique or AD, they will likely send it to the Service Center, who will actually do the exchange.).

@Archer may be able to confirm or correct my understanding.

11. Evitzee Jan 10, 2019

Do NOT try to re-engrave the numbers, it really can't be redone. And I see no need to replace the case. Just don't do any more 'sanding'. Lesson learned.

connieseamaster likes this.
  12. SpaceCowboy78 Jan 10, 2019

thats the plan::bleh:: no way i'd get engrave from other sources only oem::stirthepot::

13. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 11, 2019

You do realise that a replacement case will be at a guess circa $500-750? I think you would be insane to spend that because of a fuzzy serial. Live with it, often the serials are poorly marked anyhow. You have a visible movement serial, that’s enough.

mokofoko likes this.
  14. SpaceCowboy78 Jan 11, 2019

yes i know the cost :( but it all depends my worry is the long wait not cost:oops: i don't wanna miss my speedy :(
    but for the mean time this should do:D

[​IMG]

pianomankd likes this.
  15. drhex Jan 11, 2019

Definitely can be done, Omega did it for my WG moonphase where they polished away the serial.

16. mokofoko One sad panda Jan 11, 2019

Complete agreement. I could probably understand if this was some sort of popular LE watch where the missing serial might make a difference towards resale in the future... but this is a standard speedy we're talking about. As long as the warranty card matches the serial on the movement, buyers aren't going to care if the case# is faded. I've seen a number of watches that'd purposely had the serials polished off (3rd party, Sam's, Costco), and still fetched top-dollar on ebay.

OP, I get the impression that you cannot stand any sort of cosmetic blemish... and this issue will just come up again in the future. Your case will likely get polished down to the point where it's noticeable--and you'll want it replaced--so you may as well wait until that point before getting the work done!

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 11, 2019

Omega can put the serial number back on the case as long as it hasn’t been removed from the movement.

fskywalker likes this.
  18. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Jan 11, 2019

---

Which brings up a question. Why are serial numbers removed from movements?

I bid on a watch today without a serial number on the movement (low bid-no expectation of being final bidder).

Stolen is the first thing that comes to mind, but I'm sure there are other reasons too.

19. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 11, 2019

Grey-market.

20. Evitzee Jan 11, 2019

Frankenwatch....mismatch of case and movement