Rational vs. irrational watch collecting…

I have one watch to rule them all that I wear everyday, rational.

I have 8 other watches I wear hardly ever, irrational. But they are nice and I might change over to one of them one day (except the ones that were totally irrational buys which seemed a good idea at the time, what the hell are they doing there?).

EDIT : What is supremely irrational is the amount of time I spend on auction houses/ebay/OF, looking for/at watches I neither need nor will wear and talking myself into/out of bidding/buying them.
But I do need a speedy and two Bulovas, the mil ship and the orange snorkel….no I don’t.

Like 6
I started rationally ... maybe? Because for years I had A watch. One watch. Then tragedy struck and I replaced sadness with purchase! (At least I can admit it ...) and quickly became irrational. I think only about 4 or 5 people know the extent of my severe irrationality right now.

I really did slow down, but even I can't stop cold turkey. Still, I try not to buy too many that look similar, however when it has come time to look in the box to sell something THAT makes it much harder since, well, they're all unique.

Like 4
Some phenomenally honest and insightful answers. And it’s not an easy task to step back and analyze our behavior.

If I put myself on the analyst’s couch, I can definitely detect a certain compulsive and addictive quality to this hobby. I find myself not infrequently either searching unrelentingly for either that perfect example ( by that I mean subjectively, thus not necessarily “mint”), or, in a similar way, hunting for parts to get a piece I have just where I want it. Then, when it gets there, I gaze at it, put it on, and then go on to the next project.

Who knew psychopathology could be so much fun!

IMG_3491.jpeg

Like 6