Forums Latest Members

SOLD Rare Vintage LONGINES "RATT TID" Dealer Display Clock!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 1, 2020

Well, this may be a first on the OF. Several years ago I wrote and published on this forum an in-depth article about a Longines wrist chronometre that I owned. One of the points that became clear through my research was that during the Golden Era of Swiss watchmaking (i.e. the 1940s-'50s), Longines produced far fewer chronometres than the likes of Omega and Rolex. It was a marketing decision, and, for whatever reasons, Longines decided not to emphasize the production of chronometres for consumers during that period. The company did, however, put energy into the Observatory trials, and met with notable success during the 1940s. It also chose, like many other manufacturers, to showcase its ability to produce highly accurate movements by supplying some of the independent retail stores with "EXACT TIME" clocks, which were typically displayed in the windows.

These clocks actually served an important purpose during the years following WWII, namely to provide an accurate time so that passers-by could set their own watches (often pocket watches) by them. Consider that many people had no radios during that period, and television was in its infancy. So for those living in cities, these clocks were, for many years, of real practical value.

Of course they served a marketing purpose as well. Not only were they typically attractive, but if people were regularly viewing a Longines (or Omega, etc.) chronometre in a store window, and setting their watches by it, you can be sure that postive associations were often built.

Today, as one might expect, there are not many of these interesting clocks available to collectors. They were low-production clocks, and expensive to produce, featuring some of the most accurate movements that the manufacturer had produced to that period. Most were also housed in plated brass cases, and after 60-75 years, a fairly high percentage of those remaining have degraded markedly.

So, with that background, let's move along to what I believe is likely to be the first of these remarkable Longines clocks to have been offered for sale on the OF. Technically, it is a ref. 6368 chronometre, as you can see from this Italian dealer's reference page.

[​IMG]

These type of clocks were produced for various markets, and typically had plates boasting "EXACT TIME" in the local language. The one that I am selling was used in the Swedish market, hence the "RATT TID" designation. The wooden base measures 18.5cm all around, and 12cm high when the clock is flat. It is a nice size for display, as it is big enough to be readily appreciated by anyone who sees it, yet relatively unobtrusive, and can fit on a modest sized shelf, etc.

Conservatively, I would say that the clock is in very good condition throughout. I find the patina of the wooden base, and the metal LONGINES and RATT TID, to be both genuine and attractive. Longines designed these clocks to sit on gimbals, which is more interesting and versatile than the static displays typically chosen by other manufacturers. Like marine chronometres, where they were often used, the gimbal allows the user to set the angle of the clock, and also to lock it in place for security during transport (or rough seas, etc.).

When the clock is in a flat position, a metal piece, operated by the controls in the upper right, can be inserted into a corresponding slot in the clock housing, and locked in place. When it is removed, the clock swings freely on a single axis, and can be set partially or fully upright for display, and easy viewing.

The dial is a beauty, in my view, and oozes quality, as one might expect of a clock that was designed to impress the public. It measures 85mm across, including the bezel, and features a 50 hour power reserve indicator (though the actual reserve is a bit more). I believe that the applied markers and hands must have some gold content, as there is little if any corrosion to speak of. The markers are faceted, and catch the light nicely, as designed.

The clock is wound and set with the single brass knob on top (above 12:00). Interestingly, these clocks show "0" when they are fully wound, so, for example, there was no power when I took the photos below. In other words, the indicator tells the user how many hours have passed since winding, rather than the number of hours remaining. Please note that while easy at the beginning, it takes a bit of effort to wind it fully as the mainspring tightens!

One of the interesting design features of the clock is the mirror that sits on the wooden base. Like many old mirrors, this one has corroded to some extent over the decades, but it is still possible to appreciate how clever the design was, especially given that the movement can be revealed through a clear, factory produced lens. There is a heavy brass housing that screws neatly over the movement to protect it, but if desired, it can be removed, and the superb caliber can be viewed clearly. When the clock is facing up, and the protective housing has been removed, the movement can be seen reflected in the mirror.

The clock is powered by a 24 ligne cal. 24.99, which, remarkably, was first produced in 1908! The always helpful Jennifer Bochud of Longines sent some additional information relating to the early version of the caliber, including this:

[​IMG]

This is the basic technical information on the cal. 24.99:

[​IMG]

The movement features a high-quality Côtes de Genève finish, and an elegant snail-cam regulator. based on its serial number, it dates to around 1956, though the clock would have been shipped a bit later, of course. A big bonus for the next owner is that it was just serviced by my watchmaker here in Lisbon, and has been keeping time to within four seconds/day.

I'll let the photos do the rest of the talking, with the exception of the business details. Needless to say, these do not appear for sale with any frequency. There is currently one available from a German dealer, with an asking price of 6800€ (!), and some questions about originality.

I ask $2600 (or EUR equivalent) for this rare beauty, and will ship EMS express insured from my home in Lisbon. FedEx or DHL may be possible as well. Note that my asking price is several hundred dollars below what I have into the clock (the recent service alone was 300€).

Those living in the U.S. please note that shipments are taking longer than usual due to the virus issue, so you will need to be patient!

I can accept Paypal, or a bank transfer in either the U.S. or EU.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Tony C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Jun 3, 2020
  2. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jun 2, 2020

What a piece of art!

DaveK and Tony C. like this.
  3. Woops Jun 2, 2020

I come to Tony's listings looking for a bargain and usually leave with an education. Gorgeous piece. GLWS (like you need it).

cassius66, slique12, bhoboo and 8 others like this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 2, 2020

OHPF!

wagudc, 88cut, alam and 6 others like this.
  5. FREDMAYCOIN Jun 2, 2020

Hopefully it stays in the of family.

cassius66 and wagudc like this.
  6. JohnLy Jun 2, 2020

Great piece of horology, congrats to the buyer and seller.

cassius66, wagudc and Swissgmt1675 like this.
  7. valkyrie_rider Jun 2, 2020

Probably one of the best ads I've seen on any watch forum.

Thanks for sharing the history of this amazing timepiece!

wristpirate, JohnLy, STANDY and 3 others like this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 3, 2020

Thank you for your kind words!

valkyrie_rider likes this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 4, 2020

Sold!

Thanks to A from the U.K., the supportive forum members, and Mods!

10. fbf Jun 6, 2020

amazing...wish i saw this one earlier but probably not a good idea since I would've spent money.
    Awesome piece.

Stripey and Tony C. like this.
  11. bimbim1207 Jun 14, 2020

amazing! The new owner must be very happy!