Rare Vintage Jumbo Pink Gold Omega Genève!

It's time to pass another one of my early Genève into the hands of another collector. I could say that you never actually own an early Genève, you merely look after it for the next generation, but then I'd also have to call it a Calatrava! 😁

Seriously, though, these were the quintessential Omega dress watches from the 1950s, and, as many collectors know, were at the top of the manual-wind range, with the sole exception of the very low production Rg chronometres. While the value of gold was a big factor, consider that the large gold Genève references, like the one that I am selling, were, at the time, priced significantly higher than both the Seamaster 300 and chronographs (including Speedmasters)!

GenAd.jpg

The Genève cases and dials were "Deluxe" executions (note the attractive, subtle chamfers on the outside of the lugs), including lovely gold markers which reflect light differently than steel, and resist oxidation. They are powered by the typically excellent 30mm movements, in this case a cal. 266.

This example dates to the mid 1950s, and is a ref. 2748. I believe it to be original with the exception of the crystal. I like to be conservative in my assessments when selling, and would characterize the watch as being in very good to excellent condition overall. There are no major flaws, and it is a fine example. It is a very attractive watch to the naked eye, and, given its size, appears both substantial and elegant on the wrist.

The classic two-tone, cross-hair dial does show a few small spots of oxidation on the silver outer ring, which is typical of these early Genève, and there are also a few tiny bubbles on the dial. The hands and markers are in excellent condition.

I believe the 36mm case to be unpolished in the usual sense of the word, but to be clear, and like most gold watches, it has seen some hand polishing with a soft cloth. In other words, it retains its basic integrity, including the classic Genève chamfered lugs, and I do not believe that it was ever machine polished. There are a few light scratches here and there, but I consider them to be minor, and trivial to the naked eye.

Note that the pink gold color is of the lighter variety, which I very much like. I find the tone to be more subtle and elegant than those which have more of a reddish tone.

The cal. 266 movement is clean and in excellent condition, though I do not know the last date of service, and would recommend one if the watch is to be worn regularly.

I have owned and worn fine vintage dress models from many manufacturers over the years, including Patek, Audemars Piguet, and V&C, and I honestly believe that these early Genève models hold their own!

It is not easy to find original examples of the Jumbo Genève in very good or better condition in steel. Pink gold makes such searches even more daunting. Coincidentally, there is a 34mm pink gold Genève currently being auctioned on Catawiki:

https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/50872919-omega-vintage-rose-gold-18k-unisex-1950-1959

It is, frankly, a bit unfair of me to use that watch as a comparison, as it is likely being bid on primarily for scrap gold value. Note that the case is unsigned and over-polished, the crown is not original, and the dial has been crudely refinished!

I ask 2300€ and will include insured FedEx shipping from my home in Portugal. In this instance I would prefer a bank wire transfer.

Feel free to ask any questions!

OMGenPG45.jpg

OMGenPG47.jpg

OMGenPG48.jpg

OMGenPG49.jpg

OMGenPG40.jpg

OMGenPG41.jpg

OMGenPG42.jpg

OMGenPG37.jpg

OMGenPG36.jpg

This would be a no-brainer if I were still in purchase mode.

A stunning watch from a great seller.

OHPF!

Not surprised. What a lovely watch. Thanks for offering it here - and congrats to both you and a very lucky new owner!

Keep missing these things ugh! Spend ages looking and just miss the gems like this - never mind

Though it's gone, I keep coming back to look at the pictures of this beauty!

I missed this one too. And then, depression set in … 🙁

You already have some though don’t you? Gbesq?
I do. A beautiful 1959 reference 2903 that is nearly mint, but in stainless steel with rose gold dial furniture. It’s one of my favorites, but I’d love to acquire another of the early cursive Geneves in solid gold. Tony has some spectacular examples in his collection and these are getting very difficult to find in excellent condition.

Sold! Thanks as always to the OF team, and especially the supportive members! 👍

Keep missing these things ugh! Spend ages looking and just miss the gems like this - never mind
You gotta move fast to catch a Tony C. watch.