Forums Latest Members

Rare Omega Table Clock ca 1950

1. Gastronome Jul 16, 2015

I own the following Omega Table Clock.

It has a golden case style with a black ocean background showing Columbus, Queen Isabella, Nina, Pinta, and the Santa Maria. It used to belong to my great uncle. We are from Switzerland and he bought it in Geneva. He was the original owner. I believe that he bought it in the 1950’s.

Measure: 140 x 130 x 50 mm. It is driven by a high grade 8 day Omega caliber.

Does anybody in this forum has any information about this clock? I researched different clock web sites in Europe and in the USA and I did not find a matching one! The closest one was on eBay at the following link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Omega-Luxury-Table-Clock-with-8-day-movement-1950-s-/252004588726Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I have contacted Omega in Bienne, Switzerland, and asked them if they have any additional information and if the clock was included in the Travel through Time" Omega book from Marco Richon.

Any any would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Philippe

omega1.jpg omega2.jpg omega3.jpg omega4.jpg
    jacksandi, Drawarms, ChrisN and 5 others like this.
  2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 16, 2015

Hello Phillipe and welcome!
    Page 456 of "OMEGA A JOURNEY THROUGH TIME" (AJTT) shows a very similar clock, case and movement.
    However, the Chinese lacquer dial shown is not as detailed and ornate as yours but is in the same style.
    Researching the movement, it is either the 59 8-D SCS CLEF bull 20 p or the 59 8-D SCS T1 CLEF bull 20 p.
    Movement was built in the mid-40's (44-47) but could have been cased and sold years later.

Very beautiful, but not really to my taste as I was in the Army and this is more a Navy man's piece!

Joking aside, quite a nice clock!

Drawarms and lillatroll like this.
  3. Wongo Jul 16, 2015

Lovely piece, love the Neptune spare hands in any watch or clocks

4. Gastronome Jul 17, 2015

Thank you for your feedback.

5. OMTOM Jul 17, 2015

DIBS!

6. jacksandi Oct 4, 2016

HI: Philippe
    I do collect these Omega clocks I have 4 different version , let me know what kind of info you need.
    Thanks
    Jack

7. Drawarms Oct 4, 2016

wow insane clock. congrats!

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 4, 2016

Jack, Philipe showed us his clock, got his information and left over a year ago. He has not been back.

These are quite beautiful, perhaps you would share pictures of yours?

cristos71 likes this.
  9. jacksandi Oct 5, 2016

here are the pictures my clock collections.
    IMG_0068.JPG IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0071.JPG

Sanmilc, toddle321, mozartman and 8 others like this.
  10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 5, 2016

Absolutely stunning!
    I just got my first clock, a JLC ATMOS, now I know what my second clock should be!

Thank you, Jack

11. jacksandi Oct 5, 2016

Good Luck, LMK if I can help.

Jack

12. OMTOM Oct 6, 2016

Very nice. Your four clocks are all Cal. 42.9 – a successor to the 59-8D SCS which is the version shown in the first post (from Gastronome). Both 8-day movements.

The 59-8D SCS (later became Cal.120) was a two-barrel, 21 jewel jump-second Omega movement (developed from the 59-8D which originated in 1926).

The 15 jewel 42.9 8-D movement was (clearly) smaller and was by Lemania. The dial was produced in various (even many) versions, sometimes ‘traditional’ and sometimes with a lacquered dial. Many of these were produced for the American market.

The dials with a picture (all of yours) were signed at the bottom right ‘JPM’ – Jean-Pierre Matthey-Claudet, famous as prototype builder of the Omega Cal.30 and Cal. 30I wrist tourbillon. I understand that JPM set up his own business when he left Omega, producing these (and other) dials.

As you can see, the dial in your second clock is the same design as the 59-8D in the first post (but smaller).

UncleBuck and ChrisN like this.
  13. jacksandi Oct 6, 2016

Thanks for this valuable info.
    Merci

14. OMTOM Oct 9, 2016

Sorry. Error! It had 20 jewels! Tom