Forums Latest Members
  1. simonsays Feb 13, 2020

There is the Glen Research Centre in Ohio, but that is not the part of the story that does not add up. NASA did get radial dial watches in 1978 but the cases were made by the Star Watch Company to comply with USA made parts, and the radial dials were also unique.

Why would Omega provide a standard mock up watch? It does not really add up. And, apart from the missing movement there is nothing unusual about it as far as I can see?

Even if it came with strong NASA provenance I don't see the value in it.

Edited Feb 13, 2020
  2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 13, 2020

Also Wright-Patterson AFB.

Tom

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. vbrad26 Feb 13, 2020

Interesting.
    This watch is is being sold by "hessfineauctions"
    Hess has physical 2 locations, one being in St. Petersburg FL where I live and the location is about 5 min away from my house, which is where this "watch" is located.
    I may have to go in there and ask them....WTF?
    They are an authorized Omega dealer, and last time I was in there the watchmaker was appraising a VERY nice pre-moon.

4. M'Bob Feb 13, 2020

As an aside, would love to know when we see the words "prototype" or "conspiracy theory," how many of them actually turn out to be true?

image.png

JanV and Spacefruit like this.
  5. Uscjake87 Feb 13, 2020

Sometimes they pan out. ;)

09D4943C-69B5-4CFC-8E97-B4B7C4C62965.jpeg 291F495C-584E-4B39-86CB-72C0F4223CCB.jpeg

tantovincoio likes this.
  6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 14, 2020

Waaw ... " Rare " , " NASA " and " Prototype " in one sentence... oh yes also " Speedmaster " :D

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 14, 2020

If they have a watchmaker and they are an AD someone dropped the ball in dating it.

One the other hand the DNN and almost NOS case and dial are nice parts.

8. vbrad26 Feb 14, 2020

Yeah I sort of want to go check it out this weekend if I have the chance...
    Just because.

9. Nactex Feb 14, 2020

I wanted to point out that the case makers mark is different than most 78's. Some quick research shows most were HF cases. What is this case makers mark?

[​IMG]

10. Patrik83 Feb 14, 2020

11. tantovincoio Feb 15, 2020

L'orologio in questione ha la stessa cassa montata su tutti gli Omega Speedmaster Radiali "civili" (Alaska Project 3) visti ad oggi.
    Pertanto non sarei così sicuro , come dite , che sia un fake.
    Questo è il mio del quale allego foto.
    Buona giornata,
    Massimiliano

Speedmaster Alaska_002.JPG Speedmaster Alaska_005.JPG
  12. simonsays Feb 15, 2020

The watch in question has the same case mounted on all the "civilian" Omega Speedmaster Radials (Alaska Project 3) seen to date.
    Therefore I would not be so sure, as you say, that it is a fake.
    This is mine of which I attach photos.
    Good day,
    Massimiliano

I don't think the case maker is unusual for a -78. Did any other case maker have a -78 apart from The Star Watch Co.? The NASA connection is unclear though.

Very nice watch, do you have an EOA for it?

13. tantovincoio Feb 15, 2020

I have had other 1978 with HF case if I well remember.
    Edit : there are no HF case Speedmanster from 1978 , I was in error.

Edited Feb 22, 2020
  14. Uscjake87 Feb 15, 2020

Lets see a photograph of your EOA with serial blurred out. Radial dials escaped the spare parts bin due to an omega watchmaker saving them. If it was actually delivered to NASA it would have a star watch case and the special serial engravings. My star case never got delivered, so it lacks nasa engravings.

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. mk2rick Feb 16, 2020

16. tantovincoio Feb 16, 2020

Non facciamo confusione.
    Parlando degli Alaska Project 3 , gli unici a riportare incisione sul fondello(assegnazione) sono i 56 orologi ordinati dalla NASA e consegnati dalla Omega per mezzo dei suoi distributori americani alla NASA.
    Questi 56 orologi per motivi (sintetizzando al massimo) "patriottici" furono assemblati utilizzando casse prodotte dalla Star Case , azienda americana ben nota per la produzione di casse per orologi .
    Come normale che sia quando si parla di produzioni speciali , la Omega produsse alcuni quadranti Radiali in più rispetto ai 56 ordinati (e consegnati).
    Queste poche decine(?) Di quadranti risultano ad oggi essere montate su casse NON Star Case , tutte del 1978 e tutti con movimento incluso in un seriale ben preciso e non vendute in US.
    Di più al momento non so .
    Il mio orologio non è assolutamente in vendita pertanto per motivi di privacy non intendo mostrare il EOA.
    Grazie per la comprensione.

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 16, 2020

Or as google translate puts it:

Let's not get confused.
    Speaking of the Alaska Project 3, the only ones to have engraved on the caseback (assignment) are the 56 watches ordered by NASA and delivered by Omega through its American distributors to NASA.
    These 56 "patriotic" motifs were assembled using cases produced by the Star Case, an American company well known for the production of watch cases.
    As normal as it is when it comes to special productions, Omega produced some more Radial dials than the 56 ordered (and delivered).
    These few tens (?) Of dials are now mounted on NON Star Case cases, all from 1978 and all with movement included in a very precise serial and not sold in the US.
    More at the moment I don't know.
    My watch is absolutely not for sale therefore for privacy reasons I do not intend to show the EOA.
    Thanks for understanding.

18. OMEGuy Feb 16, 2020

Your only 3 posts within almost 5 years and all of them in this single thread makes me believe you are at least convinced of what you say...

tantovincoio likes this.
  19. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 16, 2020

For those wondering why Star Watch Case Co made Speedmaster cases, the watches acquired by NASA had to be at least 50% Made in USA.

How that was determined, I don't know. Perhaps by material cost?

Tom

20. tantovincoio Feb 16, 2020

Esattamente ,la publica opinione faceva pressione sul fatto che gli astronauti dovessero essere equipaggiati con strumenti made in US.
    Per questo le casse le fece Star Case.
    Immagino che i movimenti forniti da Omega alla NASA dovessero essere assolutamente " made in Switzerland" e ben controllati in Svizzera prima della spedizione in US.