Forums Latest Members

SOLD RARE Heuer Monnin 844 "Transitional" non-24/hr dial - Serviced

1. bristnj Dec 1, 2019

For sale here is a very rare Heuer Monnin 844 "Transitional". What makes this special is that it was the last of the French made production 844's by G. Monnin for Heuer in 1979. Heuer was trying to broaden its market in the late 70's, and contracted with Monnnin to produce the 1st Heuer Dive watches. Reference 844 Monnin’s come in 3 varieties. They all have same case, FE4611-A movement and have 844 etch/reference. 1st is early and have 24 hour dial and cathedral hands. The hands later changed to Mercedes style with 24 hour dial and these were sold until the end of production. The 3rd variant is the non-24 hour dial "Transitional" as I am selling here.

The piece has a G.Monnin signed FE4611-A automatic movement. The dial (unlike a early Monnin's) is non-24/hr with "Made in FRANCE" at bottom and the french spelled "Professionel" on the dial. Heuer made the decision to take over production due to the wild success of the pieces in 1979. It's believed that Monnin had to re-order parts to fill final orders, so the last dials were designed to match the new Heuer design (844-1) and sold in small numbers until Heuer took over production in 1980. This 844 looks just like the Heuer 844-1 produced by Heuer in Switzerland after 1980, showing the "transitional" nature from original producer Monnin to Heuer. For those who have researched 844's, they are widely considered to be the watch that saved Heuer during the quartz crisis!

The case back is etched Heuer-Leondias consistent with these later Monnin models. This example is probably the nicest one that I have seen. Overall condition is more than excellent. The movement has been full serviced by my watchmaker, and is keeping excellent time.

The piece comes fitted on newer Oyster style bracelet (as these would have been) with an original Heuer 844 flip-clasp attached. This is a super rare watch in collectors condition.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Glamour Shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Asking $2800 OBO plus shipping. Payment via PayPal, Wire or Venmo. Shipping via USPS Priority Mail or UPS based on location. Both fully insured.

Please feel free to message me with interest or questions.

Thank you! Jeff

Edited Dec 4, 2019
    Jeremiah, AAAKK and STANDY like this.
  2. bristnj Dec 4, 2019

Bump - Also, sharing a few other Monnin "Transitionals" in the wild based off recent question and to show condition for comparison.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]