Forums Latest Members
  1. gregory senior Jan 18, 2012

hi again omega fans
    i recently buy this connie cuz the rareness of the dial it has two number 3s
    it has a number 3 where it should be a 9 but the tricky part is that this 3 doesnt match the 3 of the other side because the dial is bezel (pie pan Style) that number 3 on the 9 was ment to be there?
    the movement is in great shape keeps time great is from around early 60s
    would be glad to here some opinion of this connie
    thxs again for your help and thxs for this forum is really helpfull

PICT0412.JPG PICT0413.JPG PICT0418.JPG PICT0422.JPG PICT0426.JPG PICT0429.JPG PICT0431.JPG PICT0432.JPG
  2. ulackfocus Jan 18, 2012

What a great idea! I'll take the 3 and 9 off a pair of Constellation dials and then two 3's on one and two 9's on the other, then list them as "RARE!" and hope somebody falls for it. ;) Rare? Sorry, sounds like a snake oil salesman's claims. Stranger things have happened but I seriously doubt it's original.

xantiagib likes this.
  3. gregory senior Jan 18, 2012

the things that the numbers are no mirrors from each others
    i have look it with the magnifiying glass a lot
    the number 3 of the left side dont match the number 3 of the rigth side, why each number have been bezel for each side
    the 3 of the rigth side for match the other side have to be inverted for a good match will look like an 8
    i will try to take more pics so we can discuss this matter
    btw . i respect your opinion ,but everithing else of this connie is a 100% original
    i am trying to know more about of the dial hope that someone help me with this
    thxs for your replay

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2012

Just having a read through this article written by Desmond (Mondodec) there's a particularly interesting claim:

www.mediafire.com/?ygg2amzjzm5

If 25% of their workforce were engaged in quality control, which in those days meant many pairs of eyes reviewing a piece before it was approved for shipment and sale, the likelihood if it leaving the factory like that I would imagine as slim to none, in the 1990s there were some "Speamasters" or Seamasters that were mistakenly marked as Speedmasters, but that was both a very simple clerical type of error, and one that took place in a time when Omega's quality control was not as complete and all encompassing as it was in the 60s, and is again today since the company's revival under Stephen Urquhart.

5. gregory senior Jan 18, 2012

check out another anomaly of the dial the number one (1) on the 12 is a little bit higher and larger compared to the number 2

6. ulackfocus Jan 18, 2012

We need to see the back of the dial. I'd bet the dial was dirty and missing parts. The markers were all removed so the dial could be cleaned, then glued back in place but the person fixing it didn't have a 9 or or made a mistake and installed a second 3.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2012

Just out of interest, did you pay a premium for this dial or was it still a reasonably priced Constellation?

8. gregory senior Jan 18, 2012

hi thxs everybody for your reply
    i pay a fair price for this watch (not Premium) like a normal constellation
    my curiosity for a good explanation make me take up the watch apart as you can see on the pics
    the number 3 and 9 are riveted not glued
    did a jeweler dismantle the dial for a clean up ?
    glad to hear your comments

back dial.jpg Back Dial Up.JPG
  9. gregory senior Jan 18, 2012

in the pic you can see a white number 3 i make a mistake that is the number 9 position
    sorry
    thxs for looking and for all your reply

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

Bring back post. :)

11. theridewill Like your watch? Then don't listen to my advice. Jan 31, 2016

i doubt if the crown is correct or originala to the watch...

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

No it is not, but not an unusual occurrence.

13. nxw1969 Jan 31, 2016

I would have said that this is a reason to doubt the originality, rather than back up the claim.

More likely the numbers were remounted on the dial and the number one was put on upside down (I dont know where the peg is on the number 1, but if its slightly off centre, that would lead to the number one being above the number 2)

14. theridewill Like your watch? Then don't listen to my advice. Jan 31, 2016

so changing the 9 marker with a 3 marker is not impossible...
    granting that it was a factory error, who would want an erroneous dial? 3 on the 9 marker is just plane stupidity on a watch and not rarity..

15. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 31, 2016

If 25% of the workforce must be engaged in quality control, you have got some seriously bad manufacturing processes. :whipped:

Hope they've got that fixed. :thumbsup:

16. tyrantlizardrex Jan 31, 2016

So a badly put back together redial...

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 31, 2016

You don't think that when it was re-dialled that somebody just stuffed up?

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  18. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 31, 2016

I've had a few misprint dials in my years of dealing but never have I see numbers switched..

19. Willem023 Feb 1, 2016

Might be, but it gave us the fantastic 500's and 700's cal......
    On average: quality of the end-product is 1:1 correlated with the amount of control in the process, meaning, check - control - check - control, etcetera..... Still going on, now executed by machines that do not have luncheon-brakes :coffee:

BTW: 'interesting' watch. 'Let's meet at 3 for drinks' :thumbsdown:

wsfarrell likes this.
  20. ConElPueblo Feb 1, 2016

I remember seeing a Patek Phillippe (or was it a JLC? Something high-end...) watch where the "7" and "8" had been switzed from factory... Naturally, the manufacturer wanted it back to rectify the issue, and wouldn't hear of NOT swapping them back.

Highly doubt that this one is a manufacturer's error, especially due to the fault at 12.