Forums Latest Members

Rare caliber 560 Seamaster Deville - a prototype with a display back

1. Zach Jul 8, 2012

Hey guys,

New to this Omega forum, but I figured I'd post one of my watches here and see what you guys think. Found this one just recently. It's an early 1960's Seamaster Deville in pristine condition, keeping perfect time. Everything on this piece is original, including the acrylic crystals (Omega symbol is still viewable under close inspection). Case is 14k gold filled.

What's special about this one is that it is running the rare caliber 560, of which only 3,000 were made. What's more though, is that this particular piece was manufactured with a display back and was never intended for sale on the market. As these watches were front-loader cases, the (at the time innovative) display back was used by the dealers to show off the movements.

Only between 6 and 12 of these pieces with the display back are thought to exist.

Here's the research that I've found regarding the piece - the markings on this watch are all consistent with the display piece in the second article. This watch's case is missing the Omega model number, indicating it was a prototype.

Omega Constellation Collectors: Unearthed! More Omega Calibre 560 Rarities

http://omega-constellation-collector...prototype.html

Edit: Estimates on the value of this piece would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for the poor picture quality: Name  2012-07-06 22.36.37.jpgViews 80Size  86.jpg Name  2012-07-06 22.40.22.jpgViews 78Size  73.jpg Name  2012-07-06 22.41.58.jpgViews 78Size  86.jpg

Thanks for reading!

2. ulackfocus Jul 8, 2012

Hi Zach. Welcome to Omega Forums. Haven't seen too many of them but we did discuss them a little while back. Did you ever post about this on WUS?

3. ulackfocus Jul 8, 2012

That's where I know it from. The member you bought it from posted it a couple years back IIRC. Thanks!

BTW, the ADJUSTED TWO (2) POSITIONS versions of the 560 are much less common.

4. pmontoyap Jul 8, 2012

Hi Zach,

Welcome to the forum, I had never seen anything similar. I think it is very rare and desirable :thumbsup: wanna trade?!? thanks for sharing

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 8, 2012

What were you doing on WUS lol :p You been forging passports again hehe

You can entirely ask for evaluations and talk money, even link to ebay ads or posts on other forums, our rules are not very strict

"If it is vaguely in the interest of collecting, buying or selling legitimate watches, it serves a purpose" is basically how we look at it.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 8, 2012

Not even sure how those rules started on TZ really, the pricing and evaluation thing is not from one person its from several that will all have differing opinions that reflect market value and differing tastes, and if its off a bit, its not like anyone can sue us, but its usually on the money so to speak as 2-4 people will usually throw prices out and you use your judgement to average them out. Omega vintage values are a moving target that people need to be able to get a ballpark figure on, so it serves a purpose for it to be discussed

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 9, 2012

I don't honestly think they are quite as rare as believed, this being the fourth one I have had over the years.

It's always nice to see another and yours looks great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

Rare may or may not be the correct word depending on who you ask. Desmond and I think the use of "rare" is justified, while XJR and gator think it might be a bit of an exaggeration. Either way, they certainly aren't garden variety, and as I mentioned earlier in the thread the adjusted versions are much less common than their unadjusted siblings.

I've seen 2 or 3 others of these salesman sample display back SMDV's myself, but there really isn't too much of a set market for them. Given the small sampling available I'd say you paid a fair price. Would I have bought it at that price? Can't say, especially since I owned an adjusted SMDV already so it wouldn't be as novel to me. Certainly would have considered it and it's in the ballpark IMO.

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 9, 2012

I think while this one is uncommon it is not sought after so value would be affected by that. IMHO, I would say it would command a small premium over the regular version say 20%-30% or so.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 9, 2012

That was one of the better examples that I've seen of the "sample" Seamaster DeVille. IMO, there are just too many of these cases kicking around out there for me to buy into the salesman sample theory. I think it was probably more of a limited run test market by Norman Morris & Co. (the US importer for Omega at that time).

Still, it's a rare watch. I think you did well at the asking price and even better if you were able to get a few bucks shaved off in negotiations.

As Ulackfocus says, I'm not a believer that only 3,000 cal. 560's were made, either. Omega mentions this figure in their database, but I'm not sure if they are referring to movements or to case references of the few models that were totally Swiss made (movement, dial and case).

Years ago, TZ was an independently owned forum just like this one. Sometime around 2005 they were bought out by Antiquorum. That's why you are not allowed to link to eBay auctions or other forums. Discussions of true value are totally out of the question on TZ, as Antiquorum chooses not to acknowledge that any competition exists.

Kind of a Swiss trait, don't you think?
    gatorcpa

felsby likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

Welcome to the club! Hold on to your wallet. :eek: :p