Forums Latest Members

Random hairline on seamaster 300M 42mm

1. Ac8587 Feb 12, 2020

Hey guys. I just had a quick question. I ordered the SMPc in blue dial last week from an online dealer, received it on 2/5/2020. It’s gorgeous and what not. A few days ago, I was staring at the dial when I noticed a hairline scratch. It wasn’t noticeable till I looked at it at an angle under bright light. The issue at hand is in the week I’ve had it, I know for a fact I haven’t made contact with anything for it to get scratched. I don’t even hold hands with my gf with the hand the watch is on!

I’ve tried to contact the dealer I got it from about this issue. I asked if it’s possible it could’ve been like this during shipping since I notice the bezel sticker was off when I opened the box but they said they had documentation that there were no marks prior to shipment so I think they’re basically implying it’s not them since they told me they still hope I enjoyed the watch.

I also went to the omega boutique on 5th ave and the staff there looked under a loupe and said it is a scratch and they can’t do anything about it. I questioned how can ceramic be scratched so easily, especially since I didn’t make contact with anything and they told me it just happens.

On other forums, a lot of people are saying it may not be a scratch and is most likely residual left over from whatever it came into contact with since If you look at the photo I have uploaded, the mark in question is gray/silver and I was told if it’s an actual scratch on the bezel, it would be blue in color. I’ve also included a photo at a regular glance angle where you can’t see it.

Can anyone confirm if it’s an actual scratch or residue from another metal? If it’s an actual scratch, it’s visible from all angles right?

6FFFBE6E-70F9-48C5-812F-A3EBFB66A38C.jpeg 579F2874-3DB9-4010-A6C5-D6E1B61E1B61.jpeg
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 12, 2020

You've already been given a ton of advice on WUS, and just an hour ago ordered the eraser that people suggested there. Why don't you wait until that shows up and give it a try...

MCC likes this.
  3. Ac8587 Feb 12, 2020

Yeah I’m certain I haven’t made contact with anythingX which is why it’s a head scratcher.

Archer, I’m only asking here as well in hopes someone can shed better insight as I tend to overthink :(

4. Donn Chambers Feb 12, 2020

Not to sound flippant, but there’s no way you can be 100% certain the bezel didn’t make contact with anything while you were wearing it ... unless you were never wearing it!

I’m sure you were very careful, but these are relatively thick watches, and you can hit/rub the bezel against something without noticing, unless it was a very forceful knock. I don’t know how many dings or scratches I’ve discovered over the years on my watches where I wondered, “When did that happen?”

In short, unless you have pictures of the watch showing the blemish when you opened the package, you can’t prove you didn’t do it, no matter how much you exclaim, “I couldn’t have!”

If the eraser works, that’s great. If it doesn’t, you’ll either have to buy a new bezel for it if you want to replace it immediately, or else do so at service. Frankly, it’s not that noticeable, so I’d just leave it as is if the eraser doesn’t work.

5. Martin_F Feb 12, 2020

Can you feel it when you run your fingernail over it?

6. Ac8587 Feb 12, 2020

I cannot feel it with my fingernails

7. Martin_F Feb 12, 2020

My guess is, it's not a scratch then.
    Interesting that you can't see it from every angle. Would like to see it under a microscope, maybe it's embedded in the ceramic.

8. Ac8587 Feb 12, 2020

I’ve called Omega. Going to see if it’s possibly a defective issue. The person I spoke to the phone also said it’s hard to scratch and that if it’s an actual scratch, should be visible in any angle

9. Dan S Feb 12, 2020

You are definitely overthinking this. It's a flaw of some type ... try to stop obsessing about it.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 12, 2020

It’s material transferred to the bezel from whatever you bumped it against, as people already told you on WUS.

Again you have already ordered the eraser for it...when that comes you can fix it easily.

BenBagbag and Martin_F like this.
  11. mjb Feb 13, 2020

This is why I don't work in retail.

12. BenBagbag Feb 13, 2020

Have you considered breaking up with your girlfriend? She seems like a hazard to the cosmetic perfection of your new watch.

::facepalm1::

KingCrouchy and Vercingetorix like this.
  13. Dan S Feb 13, 2020

What would happen if the girlfriend showed up with a blemish? Is there a forum for the OP to discuss that? :rolleyes:

Edited Feb 13, 2020
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2020

People who are "certain" of things often have no clue what has happened to the watch. I stumbled across this photo looking for another image this morning:

[​IMG]

This is a watch that was returned to me not working, and the when I opened it up the balance staff was broken (no shock protection on the balance). I asked them if they had knocked or dropped the watch, and the person swore up and down they had not. I don't believe they were lying, but I think things happen and people just don't notice it - the lug that was dented would be the exact one that you would knock the watch when going through a doorway...

This bezel issue isn't a defect, it's just material transferred to the bezel when it came in contact with something.

KingCrouchy likes this.