Forums Latest Members

Railmaster Re-issue OR Globemaster

1. mikechi22 Jul 28, 2017

Hello OF Members! Please advise me on this thoroughly narcissistic undertaking. The news these days is far too depressing, so I'm checking out and immersing in consumerism....

I'm psyched up to purchase a new, modern Omega. I'm torn between the Railmaster 60th Anniversary '57 Re-issue and a Globemaster.

I confess I know a lot more about vintage movements than what makes these new ones tick; is one better than the other? Is there some novelty bonus in getting a Railmaster that doesn't seem to be part of Omega's regular product line up? How has the value of the last Railmaster re-issue held up? Where would be the best place to check that?

So, whatcha all think?

2. Lode_Runner Jul 28, 2017

A lot of questions there. most of them not relevant to choosing which watch you'd actually enjoy more. The resale prospects for a brand new watch are unknowable but generally the limited editions tend to hold up well, so I would suspect the 60th Anniversary Railmaster will over time hold its value better than a run-of-the-mill Globemaster. But it might not be easy to get the Railmaster 60th Anniversary Re-Issue; that's a limited edition and only 3,557 of them were made. If you can get one, I would take it over the GlobeMaster.

railmaster_01.jpg

BUT if you're talking about the other new Omega Railmaster, the non-60th Anniversary model, I'd take the Globemaster over that. Just don't really dig the dial design of that model, it personally reminds me of counterfeit Omegas or bad redials you see on eBay.

2497-Baselworld2017-Omega-980x720.jpg

Edited Jul 28, 2017
    Richmortrd, ConElPueblo and mikechi22 like this.
  3. Riviera Paradise Jul 28, 2017

Not sure an Omega limited edition with over 3500 pieces will hold value over time, but as the Railmaster 57 reissue is probably a one-off, I suppose some value retention is possible...for recent modern Omegas I have only seen a few LE Speedies under 2K range hold or appreciate value.

Both the Railmaster and Globemaster offer Metas certification / anti-magnetic resistance certified at 15000 Gauss.

In terms of movement and versatility the Globemaster offers more options:
    Jumping hour hand function (very useful when crossing time zones)
    Date (nicely positioned at 6 o'clock)...some prefer no date.
    + 5 hours power reserve (60 vs 55)...not significant
    100m water resistance vs 60m (i.e would take a Globemaster into a pool without any concern).

I think it really depends on which one sings more to you on the wrist and what you already have in your collection...between these two I would go for the Globemaster with the blue dial.

rhj, mikechi22 and Longbow like this.
  4. Riviera Paradise Jul 28, 2017

Have you seen both the LE and non LE version of the Railmaster live? I think that photo you posted downgrades a bit the non LE version. I have not seen those wobbly indices and hands. Unfortunately I only took a shitty mobile pic at the OB in Vancouver, the photo from watchadvisor below reflects much better what the watch actually looks live.
    DSC04404.jpg DSC04409.jpg

mikechi22 likes this.
  5. arcadelt Jul 28, 2017

You make very valid points to guide the OP's decision, but I'm not entirely sure the quoted statement is accurate. There are at least three Speedmaster LEs with numbers in excess of 2K that I can immediately recall as having appreciated, although that could change tomorrow depending on external factors. That said, we are not talking Speedmasters here, although there is the effect of a rising tide lifting all boats.

mikechi22 and Riviera Paradise like this.
  6. Longbow Jul 28, 2017

The one I purchased (and has pretty much killed off my watch rotation)
    IMG_5340.JPG

The Railmaster that I personally prefer (I'm weird) although I guess that Thomas the Tank Engine track around the edge could start to become irritating quite quickly.
    IMG_5059.JPG
    And the LE Railmaster that will lose the least money over time (probably).
    IMG_5062.JPG

Of these three my GM wins every time.

7. Riviera Paradise Jul 28, 2017

You are right...I was actually thinking of recent LEs since 2014, were we have seen the Apollo XI-45 appreciate (<2K), the Snoopy explode (<2K), the CK 2998 (>2K) go up and down in value and the ST (almost =2K) so far appreciating.

arcadelt likes this.
  8. abrod520 Jul 28, 2017

I think this is based mostly on asking prices - XI-45s are still selling for below their original MSRP (US $7700) but seem to have recovered from their floor of about $6100 (there's one on offer here for 71); someone once put one up on eBay for an asking price of 9k or so but certainly didn't get it.

Same with the CK2998, speculators who bought them expecting a repeat of the Snoopy madness asked high prices but almost certainly never got them; they've been selling at a discount on the secondary market and are still available at many ADs and Boutiques.

This might change of course, since there's so much more attention being given to the Speedmaster since the 45's release.

Pun and Riviera Paradise like this.
  9. mikechi22 Jul 28, 2017

Hi there, Friends! Thank you for your advice! I'm about 90% set on pulling the trigger on this. I think I'm going to go with the LE Railmaster! There is still availability and the OB will let me change my mind if I get my hands on it and hate it. My thinking on this one is that it's a one-off and it really does look like the original, but has the newest, latest movement. I feel like there's a decent chance it will hold its value once they're all sold out. My thought would be to wear this every day and since I'm in business casual at work, this will probably work best.

I still love that Globemaster and that will be on my list for a couple years from now, either new or gently used! I love that watch because it reminds me of the vintage Constellations I already have and I do really like having a date indicator. The blue face adds a certain freshness to it.

Thanks again for your thoughtful, considered counsel. It's helped me clarify my thinking! The '57 Speedie also still has availability (good sign? Bad sign?) and I bet that one will hold or appreciate...I just can't see myself wearing it. Either of these two guys I will love, it's just a matter of when!

Longbow and Riviera Paradise like this.
  10. Riviera Paradise Jul 28, 2017

As I have never flipped a watch from my collection I have no idea of asking versus actual sales price for any watch:) I was basing my observation for the XI-45 on Chrono 24 search with "311.62.42.30.06.001" which presented asking prices of US$8.5K, 9.5K, 10.9K and 11.3K...of course being a XI-45 owner I probably have positive bias in how I interpret the resale price:)

Longbow and mikechi22 like this.
  11. Riviera Paradise Jul 28, 2017

Based on the above I think you are making a good choice...looking forward to the pictures!

Cheers,

RP

mikechi22 and Mcurreri like this.
  12. mikechi22 Jul 28, 2017

I won't be able to collect it until early December - I live in Asia and they're fully subscribed here. It sounds like my timeline just about coincides with Omega's delivery schedule, so expect some Xmas wristies from me!

Edited Jul 28, 2017
  13. abrod520 Jul 28, 2017

I own one too and I'm rooting for it I guess :)

Frankly either way I'd be surprised if they don't appreciate a bit, being unique among LEs for its case and dial materials. Very cool watch

14. mikechi22 Jul 31, 2017

Living in Asia and trying to make a reservation back in the USA...time zone differences, OB employee's day off, Chase fraud alert...my OCD is firing on all cylinders! Come Tuesday EST! Come!!

15. SnowKQ Jun 30, 2021

Between GM and the RM 1957, which one did you feel wear smaller/will feel better on smaller wrist?

16. Nowhere man Jun 30, 2021

My Railmaster 60th is probably my favorite watch that I've ever owned. I never anticipated wearing it as much as I do. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. It's absolutely brilliant. I typically wear it on a dark brown cordovan strap these days. The original bracelet is well made, comfortable and sturdy, but a little bulky.

Pun likes this.
  17. Maddog1970 Jul 4, 2021

I voted with my wallet….blue denim dial is killer!

077C3B10-2B5E-4E1C-BFDB-6E7AC1645738.jpeg

santiago53, HikerTz, Pun and 2 others like this.
  18. JetLinks Jul 4, 2021

Very nice indeed! Enjoy!