Forums Latest Members
  1. Daniel Herron May 10, 2019

Hi,

I’m new to the site,

I bought a 1957 60th anniversary Railmaster last month as a bit of an investment, completely unworn.

I’m curious to know the value, and if I’m going to have trouble selling it this soon.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks,

Dan

fskywalker likes this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! May 10, 2019

Depends on what you paid. If full RRP then if you need to sell in the short term you will lose around 30% of your outlay. They may firm eventually but haven't done so yet. The RM is the weakest of the 3 but all 3 varieties trade notably under the original RRP. I speak as an owner of the other 2 so take no joy in imparting this negative view!

3. cristos71 May 10, 2019

Yes these are still sitting in the window of many AD's, so I'm sure by now a substantial discount would be available if purchasing new, which will have an effect on the selling price of a used example.

4. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! May 10, 2019

I sold one about 3 months ago. For like 4500 usd here on the forum. To give you an idea of market price today.

5. BenBagbag May 10, 2019

Ironically, you would have been better off buying bitcoin. It's up 30% since last month. Investing in modern watches is not the best way to "invest" unless you are already getting it significantly below market value like what @Noles_88 said he sold his for...

Lucasssssss and Daniel Herron like this.
  6. Daniel Herron May 10, 2019

It has it on the Omega website for £5210, whether it’s even still available I don’t even know if this is the price it is selling for new from dealers.

I bought it from a guy who bought it in 2017 for £4200, I paid less than this for it.

Ideally I just wanted to make a few hundred pounds profit, move onto the next one, ideally one I can wear for a bit as I don’t want to spoil the ‘unworn’ advantage of this one.

But maybe I’m going to have trouble selling it!

fskywalker likes this.
  7. nismo May 10, 2019

Watches are not an investment. They are a tool for telling time and occasionally jewelry. I would recommend against buying it for investment purposes/potential flipping...you'll likely just end up disappointed and miss out on the fun of the hobby itself thinking about wear/tear and future value.

watch3s, jaguar11, BenBagbag and 6 others like this.
  8. 77deluxe May 10, 2019

It will sell at the right price.

watch3s and Daniel Herron like this.
  9. Daniel Herron May 10, 2019

Yes I understand this, but anything can be an investment, I had the opportunity to get one of my favourite watches at a good price knowing they appear to sell for a lot more. So it meant I get to temporarily own it and possibly make money from it.

I have plenty of other watches I own for the hobby and I’m not going to be making a habit from flipping watches I just wanted some opinions on its value.

10. rbob99 May 10, 2019

11. FlyingSnoopy May 11, 2019

Well, not quite everything- I would not open an ice cream shop in Alaska :)
    On a more serious note, the railmaster is the weakest of the three but, in my opinion it will prove to be a future classic and prove to be an investment but you would have to wait several years.
    Very few watches can make immediate money as flippers and only if you buy them on list price, for example a Rolex gmt, a pp nautilus.
    My 2 cents
    Cheers

Caliber561 and Daniel Herron like this.
  12. Daniel Herron May 11, 2019

Thanks for the reply’s, I’ll hold onto it for a while!

Maybe even end up on the space edition of antiques roadshow after the big war.

13. fskywalker May 11, 2019

I saw one sold recently (mint, full set) for $4000

Daniel Herron likes this.
  14. Riviera Paradise May 11, 2019

I know that Chrono24 is not a 100% reliable source of pricing info, but the overall trend below shows that pricing on the Railmaster 60th has started to bottom out. It might be a good time to buy.
    raimaster_price2.png raimaster_price1.png

Daniel Herron likes this.
  15. Daniel Herron May 12, 2019

At least I’ve bought at the right time! I’ll have to hold onto it for a while it seems!

16. jaguar11 May 12, 2019

I use mine to tell the time. Good luck with your investment.

watch3s and padders like this.
  17. Daniel Herron May 12, 2019

I would love to wear it, but it’s unworn so I don’t want to take away from the condition.