Forums Latest Members
  1. Sidreilley May 1, 2020

Hi, lately I find myself attracted to the XXL version of the Railmaster. To me they look classically simple but unmistakably Omega. However, good as they look in pictures, I’m wondering what they look and wear like on the wrist. Does anyone out there have one and wear it regularly ? I have a 7 inch (170 cm) wrist and don’t mind wearing larger watches but don’t want a watch that wears me, if that makes sense.
    Appreciate any thoughts and experiences from those wiser then I.

2. YY77 May 1, 2020

You might want to amend your wristsize, you surely can't have such a big wrist:eek: 170cm=1,7 meter. 6,67 inch=17 cm so not really sure which size you referring to::bleh::

3. Jonathan40 May 1, 2020

I have a 7” wrist also and sometimes wear a Casio mudmaster which does not swamp my wrist. 48mm and 17mm thick.
    At 49mm it’s a big watch but on leather should be fine on a 7” wrist. I would not buy remotely unless you can exercise remote/distance selling rules for return if you don’t feel it. Find somewhere to try one on and take it from there.

4. Sidreilley May 1, 2020

Oops, guess I misspoke, I meant 170 mm. Funny, I just remeasured and it’s actually a bit less, like 167mm and 6 7/8”. Finally starting to get hot outside (101 today) and I’m dehydrating a bit.

5. jburson250 May 1, 2020

AntonisCy likes this.
  6. RARJ May 11, 2020

I had both the red gold as well as the stainless steel Railmaster XXL's and ultimately sold them to fund other pieces.

They are great watches (super simple and clean) but there's no getting around that they're BIG. That said I found they were actually quite wearable due to not only how great the OEM 24mm gator strap is that comes on it but also how well it wears on NATO's and all sorts of other bands.

The case isn't too thick either which keeps the weight/feel of it down. If you can wear a 45.5mm PO then you won't have issue with the RM XXL

7. MickyD May 12, 2020

I had one, which I sold to put funds towards a Tudor Pelagos (in 2013). I love the Pelagos, but lately I’ve been wanting the XXL again - only to find they’ve got up massively in price. From memory I sold it (to a mate) for aud2400, they seem to be 6k+ now.

8. Sidreilley May 14, 2020

Thanks for the replies gents, I’ve got a good idea now. Didn’t realize that there was an XXL version of both the Railmaster and Aqua Terra.

9. RARJ May 14, 2020

And there's actually some really interesting LE's out there. Super rare but they pop up from time to time.

I might be wrong but the XXL Railmasters had customized Unitas movements in them that Omega did a great job dressing up and making really pretty. Kept great time and had a beautiful exhibition caseback. I often wish I never sold both of mine but they just weren't getting the wrist time. If you like big watches however these are an excellent choice (and the lume is like a flashlight!)

10. tritto May 14, 2020

I've worked on a couple of vintage Unitas 6498 movements and have built a watch out of one using a case off eBay. I'd love to wear a really nicely finished one from Omega though.

11. jburson250 May 15, 2020

Yep, it was based on the 6498, and re-named 2201. Here's mine:

IMG_1900.JPG

Please excuse many years of strap change scratches. :(

The movement in the WG watch (on omega watches.com) is 2211, decorated differently, but appears otherwise the same:

omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-150m-xxl-small-seconds-49-2-mm-23153491004001-3-product.png