Forums Latest Members

Rado Diastar find. My first Rado, thoughts?

1. Spartcom5 Apr 8, 2017

Picked this up the other day for $60. At first I was unsure if it was fake or not. I took a chance and everything seems to be good. The diamonds are real, sapphire crystal, scratch resistant ceramic, titanium clasp, swiss movement. Only thing is that I am not sure if it works yet. The watch itself is very sleek and nice fitting on my wrist. The diamonds are a bit gaudy but I think I can make it work lol. Thoughts on it? Thanks!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 8, 2017

Looks like a 1980's version. A far cry from the original.

[​IMG]

Tungsten-steel bezel and sapphire crystal.

A. Schlid movement with Rado modification.

[​IMG]

These were very popular in Japan.

[​IMG]
    Your Diastar is going to need some work and a lot of cleaning to get in tip-top condition again.

It should all work out in the end.
    gatorcpa

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Apr 9, 2017

I think that is an excellent little buy :)

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 9, 2017

I agree. The most important thing is to get the goopy gasket cleaned off before it can get anywhere near the dial. The safest way to do this is wipe away any goop that may impede removal of the movement/dial/hands.

Then the rest of the goop can be removed using a solvent. I think @Archer recommends isopropyl alcohol.

However, if it isn't a melted gasket but some sort of silicone sealant that's been used you may need to experiment to find something to remove it.

With proper case cleaning and a new battery you should have a very striking watch to enjoy.

5. omegasaso12 Apr 9, 2017

Usualy Rado use silicon (red or green) gasket. Service would be probably needed. Look color of insulator. There was some liking in past.

Edit: press caseback have silicon gaskets, screew tipes casebacks are probably using rubber gaskets.