Forums Latest Members
  1. Tigeranteater May 4, 2019

I got this as a daily beater to wear when doing light stuff around the house etc. I did not get it as a collectible. As you can see, it has green lume at 12,3,6 and 9. For kicks I put a Geiger to it and it gives off about 29 microsieverts per hour, making it pretty radioactive. Obviously this is a redial from years ago. Was it common practice to paint over the lume or is this just a redial that had radium? What was the practice? By the way, the movement is a 351 bumper. The serial is from around 1952. Any input on redial, repaint practice is appreciated. I’m just sort of surprised it’s that radioactive. I just wish the lume was the aged brown commonly seen.

566F027F-B4DA-4D92-A9B2-198EF67DC580.jpeg
    Longbow likes this.
  2. AdInfinitum May 4, 2019

Since you say it is already a redial and are concerned about radiation, I'd recommend Noctilumina

It comes in all sorts of colours from yellow to orange-brown and you can mix them to get the shade you want, PLUS it glows green in the dark and really is the best overall vintage tritium imitator that I have come across.

Sample from one of their product lines:
    NL.jpg

You (or your watchmaker) can buy it direct from the company website via Scott - a first-rate guy!

3. Tigeranteater May 6, 2019

Thank you!

4. Dan S May 6, 2019

This is definitely a situation where a re-lume of dial and hands would improve the watch. There is no reason to preserve that old, but unoriginal, lume. There are various ways to tint lume material; your watchmaker may well have his own favorite method.

connieseamaster likes this.