Forums Latest Members
  1. Scottya Jan 22, 2018

Hello folks, I’m wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. I tried doing a search on this site and WUS with no luck.

I own a 50th anniv Seamaster GMT. After my “full service overhaul” from an AD in Costa Mesa, CA, I noticed my quickset hour hand would occasionally hang up, and lag an hour or two per day. The GMT, minute and second hands are all operating normally. After he attempted to fix it with no luck, he sent it to his Omega instructor in New Jersey? (performs his yearly certification there). The “instructor” also attempted an overhaul, sent it back to me and it still has the same problem. I recently noticed the problem is definitely related to the crown, which I hadn’t noticed previously. If I screw the crown down all the way (not too tight), it WILL hang up at least 3-4 hours per day. If I only screw the crown in a quarter turn (after pushing in and rotating ccw to find the threading) it only occasionally hangs up. If I’m lucky, it keeps the time for weeks until changing another time zone. I will provide my AD with this info in hopes he’ll be able to fix it this time. Anyone here experience the same problem?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 22, 2018

When you fully screw in the crown, and then unscrew it just to the winding position, does the hour hand move?

3. Scottya Jan 22, 2018

Funny thing, while unscrewing the crown, ocassionally the hourhand will rotate counterclockwise an hour or two. It seems to operate fine unscrewed so far (after performing that operation Archer).

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 22, 2018

When I have seen this happen before (where the hour hand changes as you are unscrewing the crown) it has been because there is wear on the main plate of the watch movement. It is my belief that this comes from someone installing a winding stem that is too long...here is a video I made showing this happening on a watch that came into my shop a few years ago:

I took this video with the movement mounted in the case but no dial, hands, or calendar parts installed - it was the only way I could show what was going on. The video first shows a worn main plate, and there is a small angled opening in the plate that has worn due to the winding pinion contacting the plate. I then show a new plate where the angled opening is not worn.

Then the movement is mounted in the case and I first show the crown being pulled you to the setting position, and then pushed back into the winding position. I then screw the crown down and at one point you can hear a click and the winding pinion is forced more into the center of the watch than it should be, and clearly shows that it was causing the wear on the main plate. I believe this started because the stem was too long, and with the twisted stem design this watch uses that caused the winding pinion to be forced too far inwards. The winding pinion was also worn and had burrs on it that helped chew away the main plate.

After the winding pinion gets pushed in that far, as I turn the crown backwards to unscrew it you can see that the rest of the setting parts are turning, and that is what causes the hour wheel to engage and get moved. In a watch that isn't worn they would not all be turning like that.

Once the wear got this bad, the main plate, stem, and winding pinion all had to be replaced. I've run into this a couple of times, and the only common denominator was the watchmaker that was the last place to service the watches.

Now sometimes there is another problem with these watches, and all that use the jump hour hand feature - a worn hour wheel. That was my initial thought but when you said problems happened only when the crown was fully screwed in, that lead me to think it was the start of the problem I've described above.

The failed hour wheel can also cause the hour hand to fall behind, but it happens regardless of how the crown is screwed in - that looks like this in the final stages - the hour hand just stops working at a point on the dial:

So whoever the watchmaker is that is working on this needs to look at the main plate on the dial side, to see if that sort of triangular opening is showing wear like in the first photo in the first video above.

Cheers, Al

5. Scottya Jan 22, 2018

Wow Al! I believe that 1st video precisely demonstrates what is happening to my watch.
    Everything in your explanation makes sense. My watch wasn’t doing this before the initial overhaul. I’m guessing installing a new stem is also included (as well as gaskets, new hands, etc).
    I just moved to AZ, I haven’t contacted a local AD yet... Would you be willing to fix this? I’ll PM you In a few minutes.
    Very appreciative, and happy to find this forum!

6. Scottya Jun 10, 2018

Follow up. After sending back the watch to Omega 4 times (twice in LA, twice in NJ), they finally replaced the main plate and fixed the watch. For the last 3 returns, I attached a letter quoting Al’s advice and links to his videos. They replaced the main plate after the 4th return, and the watch is like new, and functioning perfectly. Omega was great about covering the shipping back and forth...however their QC definitely failed the first 3 times. Thanks again Al / Archer for the help!

staristheanswer and Dan S like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 11, 2018

Glad they finally listened, and that I was able to help get this sorted for you.

Thanks for following up too - so many people get the advice they need and just disappear...

Cheers, Al

8. Scottya Jun 7, 2019

Alas another update. Shortly after posting the above, the quickset hour hand slippage manifested itself again...you can image my disappointment. Again, I sent it back to Swatch in NJ. This time they quickly sent it to Omega Switzerland. I’m amazed at how much they swapped out. When they sent the watch back, I received a bag full of parts...including the entire gear train. They also replaced my Sapphire crystal...claimed it had a small chip. All the service was free, including shipping.
    I have had the watch now for over 9 months and this time it is working perfectly! In the future if possible, I’d like to send it directly to Switzerland for service. Thanks again everyone for your wise council.
    P.S. was very happy to see AIs comments on Valjoux vs Sallita regarding Sinn 356. I had just purchased an older version with the Valjoux which is currently in for service. Wish me luck

E371A54E-25B6-452B-87C9-3AB3B010CB5E.jpeg EF02F10A-EE57-4FA5-9F55-6A5D04BAADCE.png
    Dan S and KeithS like this.
  9. Donn Chambers Jun 7, 2019

Where did you get that bezel? That's pretty nice, but it must be aftermarket.

10. Scottya Jun 7, 2019

11. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jun 7, 2019

Scottya likes this.
  12. Scottya Jun 7, 2019

I’m a big fan of the Bezel insert and the Hirsch Robby Sailcloth. Don’t laugh, but I bought 2 Bezel inserts. I had someone else glue the insert and it didn’t line up...drove me nuts. Had another guy remove/replace to get it lined-up. Here’s a current pic of the watch...and one of the parts replaced.

64BCDFFD-90FA-4DE5-81ED-5E828C87AE9C.jpeg 581AAAC3-5655-4DA6-BB6F-B8D9481C0400.jpeg 99A866C3-2B7D-4F4B-9983-5311B7DD261D.jpeg
    blufinz52 likes this.