Forums Latest Members

Quick hello with some questions!

1. txmercguy Aug 20, 2015

Hey everybody. Just wanted to pop in and kinda introduce myself. I'm not yet an Omega owner, but saving to be one. More specifically a used Speedmaster Professional 3570.50. Since this is my first time buying a higher end watch, I've got a couple questions.

What are some good questions to ask the seller? Service history, how it was used, etc?
    What is the suggested interval between servicing, and how much does it generally cost?
    Finally, what would be a reasonable price to pay for a nice used 3570.50? I've seen them anywhere from $2800 to $3700 USD.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 20, 2015

Quick Hello Back!!

Good questions...there are no BAD questions but:
    - is he/she original Owner- If not what is the provenance of watch
    -Does it come with box papers and original parts?
    -Is it all original or has it been modified in any way
    -Year of Original purchase
    -Service or repair history
    -Return policy, authenticity warranty and what time period is allowed for authenticity check. (Basically how long do you have to verify authenticity and will he accept return if not authentic or misrepresented
    -Is ti keeping good time and are all functions working as they should (you'd be surprised and better to have an answer in writing)

- I always ask: What time is it?

Suggested time between service?
    -there are different views but save to say 4 years if used daily and up to 8 or so if not. This said there are some watchmakers that will tell you to service only when malfunctioning...but most will advice you to at least getting it checked within that timeframe (4 to 8 years)

Cost of Servicing?
    - You're looking at a start point of a few hundred dollars but it can climb up depending on what parts need changing. Of course the Omega repair center will charge more...an independent watchmaker less. so work it out.

Price?

You're about right IMO. just make sure that you're paying for what you're getting. in other words often the lower end will have a replacement bezel, or crown or hands or is polished...all that's ok if you don't mind it, but if you're expecting a great piece in a great condition then you'll pay a great price. you may negotiate to 2400 or 2500 and most will be around 3200 or so...do your due diligence.

Good luck and let us know when you get it!!!

Edited Aug 20, 2015
  3. txmercguy Aug 20, 2015

Thanks! I will definitely be using this post in the future as a reference.

4. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Aug 20, 2015

@Nobel Prize gave really solid suggestions so nothing to add to the list of questions to ask. What I would suggest though is to decide how you want those questions to be answered and then wait for the right 3570 that meets your criteria to come along rather than jumping on the best (cheapest) deal. It's a common enough reference that you can be choosy without waiting too long. Best of luck!

5. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Aug 24, 2015

I have recently bought a 2013 3570 from a dealer complete with box/papers and spare bracelet for $3,300. Great value in my opinion! When searching for it I noticed that very often there is only a very small difference in asking price between a ten year old and a two year old watch. It must always be worth paying $100 - $300 more for as late a watch as you can find, obviating the need to be concerned with service history.

6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 24, 2015

2+ years back I paid $550 to have my Speedy serviced by an AD.

Also, if you have children consider getting a speedy from their birth year. These watches will last forever and at some point you will want to pass it down.

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.
  7. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 24, 2015

I don't know where you are located but when you have the money, I strongly suggest that you take a look at the sales section on this forum. George (@Kringkily) often has used Speedmasters of that model in great condition. You can't find a better seller! I got my Speedmaster from him as a ton of other people in here :thumbsup:

Pic is in place here, I believe:D

image.jpg

Nobel Prize likes this.
  8. txmercguy Aug 27, 2015

No children yet, but when they start coming I'll certainly be putting money into a watch for that specific reason.

9. txmercguy Aug 27, 2015

I've browsed the sales forum to get some ideas and definitely noticed he was a big name in that section.