Forums Latest Members
  1. MAndrewGray Sep 9, 2019

FIrst, I hope this watch is authentic. I am new to the hobby, and after reading about some of the fakes on here, I have concerns. The watch maker that cleaned and oiled it for me said it was an Omega, so I am a optimistic that it is real. Based on a website that dates Omegas based on their serial number, this manual wind watch would have been made in 1944. It is stamped on the inside as 18K gold, and it does "look" like gold. It does not have Omega marked on the crown. Just now, looking at the dial, the word Chronometre and Omega appear very faintly.

I got this watch probably 20 or more years ago from a rather interesting fellow, so I am not sure of it's history. In any event, there is some sort of a stamping on one of the lugs that I can't make out. On magnification, it appears to be some sort of a hallmark above the number 18 or 8. The hallmark might be a flower, but it is not an Omega symbol (Ω).

So, my questions are; 1) is this an authentic Omega? 2) is it a 1944 or that era model? 3) what is the stamping on the lug?

Thanks for any information you can give face.jpg stamp.jpg t6qW8PCrSdOjUj8i9xWepg.jpg XvFkTNdyRfSY3wB6DYcHqQ.jpg .

Sidnos likes this.
  2. KingCrouchy Sep 9, 2019

It's real and a very interesting piece. @mac_omega is the expert on those. I highly recommend his book about exactly this type of watches.:thumbsup:

Raymondo5508 and Benbradstock like this.
  3. Walrus Sep 9, 2019

I like it. Isn’t that lug set up uncommon, haven’t run across that before

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 9, 2019

Looks like a ref 2364.

These were available in steel, 14K and 18K and perhaps steel with a gold bezel.

Raymondo5508 and Benbradstock like this.
  5. Professor Sep 10, 2019

Dial looks faded from over cleaning, the markings near faded away. but otherwise a very nice looking watch.
    Never saw one of that model before.
    Minute markings look touched up as well.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 10, 2019

It's a very real Omega Chronometre in an 18 karat gold case made by Wyss & Cie in Biel/Bienne Switzerland.
    Dial may be a bit tired, but overall I think it's a very nice watch.

ALinares likes this.
  7. MAndrewGray Sep 10, 2019

Thank you all for your responses. Should I do anything to the dial or leave it as it is? I haven't been inside the watch (except my jeweler when he serviced it, cleaned and oiled) in the 20 or so years I have had it. I say that to say that however the dial was damaged it hasn't changed in 20 years. I rather like the watch, and it being 18K gold, I doubt it will decrease in value over the years. I traded a $100 Seiko for it in about 1991. I think this watch is probably worth more than that Seiko today, at least I hope so. Any ideas on value? Thanks again.

8. Professor Sep 10, 2019

Probably best to leave it as is. I doubt replacement dials or donors are growing on trees.
    Looks fine for everyday wear.

9. seekingseaquest Sep 10, 2019

These are not common watches. It is worth significantly more than the Seiko, no less than 15x and probably more.

10. KingCrouchy Sep 10, 2019

I would leave the dial as it is. A redial often reduces the value of such a watch. Yeah, was definitely worth that Seiko.

Sidnos likes this.
  11. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Sep 10, 2019

Do you recall what Seiko reference you traded it for? There are a few Seiko models that have the potential to be more valuable.;)

12. MAndrewGray Sep 10, 2019

I don't unfortunately. It was a 1990's era diver, and I think it was a two-tone stainless and whatever gold-tone Seiko would use at the time.