Forums Latest Members
  1. WatchmakerTheory Sep 5, 2016

Hello,

I've been looking into purchasing a piepan Constellation for a while, and I've found what I believe to be a pretty good deal. This watch is selling for $850, but I could get it for $750 without the bracelet (which I will, since my 6'' wrists aren't well suited to the beads of rice size)

While the seller doesn't state so explicitly, I believe the dial, crystal, hands, and crown to be original.

The case doesn't look over-polished to me. The lugs still have a nice shape to them, and the medallion on the back looks nice. I think the dial looks great. My biggest concern is that there is a small amount of pitting, but it's mostly in an area that would be concealed with the case back on.

I'd appreciate any corroborating or dissenting opinions. Thanks in advance!

s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg
  2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 5, 2016

I'm liking this
    Good case -gold cap never quite as sharp as SS
    Probably correct crown for this reference (14902?)
    Some minor bubbling on dial?
    Very keen price for a pie pan nowadays
    I'd buy it with the bracelet - good deal if you want to re-sell
    Pitting wouldn't put me off

WatchmakerTheory likes this.
  3. mrchan Sep 5, 2016

Sounds like a good price, I'll just leave mine here to give you some encouragement ;)
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sanmilc Sep 5, 2016

I think the watch looks nice, hands, dial, I´m not sure about the crystal, I don’t know if the original one has the magnifier…. But I´m not an expert so someone else could give you more information, do you have the reference number? That will help… I think you must keep the bracelet just in case you want to sell the watch later.

Regards,
    Cesar.

5. werdna77 Sep 5, 2016

That's a great price for that one.

6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 5, 2016

Good price, nice shape. Grab it. I would take the bracelet also.

7. WatchmakerTheory Sep 5, 2016

Darn, I wake up to these responses, and looks like someone else grabbed it before I did.

Thanks everyone, for the kind and helpful responses. I'll be sure to be more decisive next time!

8. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 5, 2016

He who hesitates........,

9. ChrisN Sep 5, 2016

This is the problem with posting pictures especially with a serial. Anyone watching this forum just needs to Google it. Second hit on this page.

Just to be clear, it wasn't me that bought it.

Better luck next time.

Cheers, Chris

Edited Sep 5, 2016
  10. Edward53 Sep 5, 2016

The moral would appear to be, post your query first thing in the morning, watch the forum all day and don't go to bed until you get the required information! And you're not alone: I still kick myself over watches I didn't snap up in time and I'm sure I'm not the only one here.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 5, 2016

When the offer is $200 to $300 under market on a watch that seemingly everyone wants, yes, it's no surprise that it was snapped up quickly.
    gatorcpa

12. ConElPueblo Sep 5, 2016

Just to add a question to this - is that BoR a later model? Or is it the correct type for this one?

I had a similar 561 w. doglegs which had the earlier sort:

DSC_0019.JPG

mrchan likes this.
  13. WatchmakerTheory Sep 5, 2016

The seller had mentioned in the listing that the bracelet was NOT original to the watch.

That watch looks great on you; I've never seen such a flawless dial!

ConElPueblo likes this.
  14. ConElPueblo Sep 5, 2016

Cheers.

Go ahead... https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-constellations-show-and-tell.19186/

In some of the posts in that thread we discussed 60's Constellations. A large number of them, compared to say, 50's Constellations, have very well preserved dials.