Forums Latest Members
  1. OmegaRody Sep 12, 2020

Doesnt had happened to you that you feel uncomfortable when postal office clerk asks you what you are shipping and you dont want to tell afraid that there may be a not so honest employee there?
    The situation I described is when shipping high end watches or items is a trust confidence issue but who knows.

2. Twocats Married... with children Sep 12, 2020

I use DHL with full value insurance, Its much more expensive but it gets there every time. I have sold many watches and only DHL/FEDEX/UPS full insured makes me sleep better at night.

3. Walrus Sep 12, 2020

I’ve never had them ask what I was shipping. Just about safety, such as lithium batteries etc.

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 12, 2020

Well, here in the US I do not worry about the USPS clerks. It is so hard to eve get hired on at USPS I doubt people are willing to sacrifice their potential careers by stealing things. The contractors used for deliveries however...

kkt and JwRosenthal like this.
  5. Dan S Sep 12, 2020

I just shipped a valuable watch using registered mail and asked for insurance. They did not ask me what was in the box, and only required that I confirm it wasn't toxic, explosive, etc. Moreover, they did not ask me to say the insurance value out loud, but instead passed me a piece of paper to write it down. I felt that they were trying to be very discreet.

Zapatta, kkt, connieseamaster and 3 others like this.
  6. RonJ Sep 12, 2020

You could dazzle the Post Office clerk by saying the item you're shipping is: "a small precision mechanical device for measuring data based on increments equal to 9,192,631,770 cycles of a microwave beam tuned to the cesium-133 standard where the microwave beam frequency causes the cesium atoms to jump to the next energy level".

In other words, it is "a watch that keeps track of seconds".

7. JwRosenthal Sep 12, 2020

You just made my brain hurt.

Farmer, OmegaRody and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Sep 12, 2020

The only time I have been asked bout contents was when I had to file a lost package claim, otherwise it's as above- only dangerous items.
    And agree with Dan, postal workers know how sweet their gig is (although these days it's gotta be rough), and wouldn't jeopardize it for what is in the grand scheme of things, of little value.

OmegaRody and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  9. OmegaRody Sep 12, 2020

It had happened to me several times when buying insurance or asking about shipping option boxes. I try to hide that questions answer but maybe they end up thinking Im some traficker that want to keep it secret.

10. TimeODanaos Sep 12, 2020

The last time I used DHL, the clerk was fairly inexperienced. I wrote down the package contents as "measuring device" or whatever - the usual stuff, as one does. He showed his supervisor, who trumpeted to the whole shop, "Oh, yeah, that's OK. It's probably an expensive watch or something".
    ::facepalm2::

Zapatta and kkt like this.
  11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 12, 2020

Having shipped hundreds of watches USPS I don't recall ever being asked the contents, insured, registered or otherwise.

12. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Sep 12, 2020

I must have had awful luck over the years because every time I have purchased a label directly at the USPS counter, I have always been asked what the contents were. I have since just created labels from home and dropped off.

13. Explorador Sep 12, 2020

And I klicked this thread because I was intrigued to find out who the hell is a Planet Ocean clerk, go figure...

Scooterino36 likes this.
  14. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Sep 12, 2020

A long time time policy to be asked at the P.O. timing device always seems to suffice.
    Surprisingly lately I never been asked if it contained a battery ???

15. OmegaRody Sep 12, 2020

Maybe Omega's new release.

Explorador likes this.