Forums Latest Members

Questions from newbie on fleabay tri compax and uni compax

1. ELV Feb 20, 2014

Hi all, I just joined the forum but have been a quiet reader for the past month. Thanks very much for sharing so many interesting info and wisdom. I hope to ask a few questions regrading a few samples I have seen on fleabay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stunning-Un...395594959?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3cdc643ecfPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

the above link points to what in my opinion is a clean uni-compax with clean dial and most other elements. Am I right to say that?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Uni...231954824?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2336207f88Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

the above link points a tri-compax. The dial seems okay but very spotty (am I wring to say this) while the lug seems odd as one of them is a male. Is that possible?

Last question is I came across a tri compax a couple of months back. On the dial apart from the normal signature and trademark. There was the initials "HPC", according to the owner it stood for "High Precision Chrononometer". Is there such a variation for a tri compax? Thanks so much for your kind opinions.

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 20, 2014

It is a correct Uni-Compax, rally, not too badly polished, but the dial is not so clean in my opinion. Spotting and dirt, particularly between noon and 2.

This watch also is correct. I actually prefer this dial to the Uni-Compax, as the patina/spotting is evenly distributed. These are difficult aspects to judge from online images, and one can be surprised either way upon receipt of the watch. As for the lugs, I suspect that the male bits broke off on at least one side on the bottom lugs, and some watchmaker performed a conversion to more traditional lug holes.

I saw that too, but haven't had time to run it down in Sala. Anyone know?

ELV likes this.
  3. ELV Feb 20, 2014

Hi Lou, thanks loads. I will try my luck on my first UG and post some shots.

4. ELV Feb 20, 2014

Also i think might choice of word may have been quite offensive, the word "fleabay". I picked it up in another watch forum which I have been hanging out at for quite a while. I am sorry if it is too aggressive or comes across as condescending (in that other forum it is kind of a fusion of flea market + eBay). The uni compax just went for 1838k this morning. Hope to see the lucky one around :)

5. ulackfocus Feb 20, 2014

No, you can use 'fleabay' or 'the swamp' all you want around here.

Mark020 and ELV like this.
  6. ELV Feb 20, 2014

Got bumped in the last second for both the above items on eBay. Amazing how strong UG demand is these days! I shall also try for antiquorum tomorrow :p hope to have some luck.

7. ELV Feb 22, 2014

I have been looking up the "HPC" signature in the past few days. Looks like there are many samples out there with it, and the dials with them look quite okay. could have been a legitimate cosc related signature.

8. woodwkr2 Feb 22, 2014

You got it.

H.P.C.: "High Precision Chronometer", designation by Universal for the watches tested at "Le Bureau de Controle des Chronometres".
    --From 100 ans de tradition horlogere

Any pics from the HPC dial you spotted?

9. ELV Feb 24, 2014

From my amateur eye the dial looks legit but the ref. no us 42201 which doesn't seem to match the case

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  10. woodwkr2 Feb 24, 2014

The caseback should go with a gold plated case. The same reference number in Sala appears to have different lugs as well.

The crown is a replacement--though, obviously a signed UG crown; these came later.

Dial and hands look original.

11. ELV web Feb 24, 2014

throwing in another slightly different dial, with the word "Freccero" (a South American retailer, kind of like the illustrious "Walser Wald", freccero is still operating today though.

image.jpg