Forums Latest Members

Questions about an Omega Constellation 168.015 watch

1. watchlover23 Nov 4, 2017

I purchased this Omega Constellation watch from a Flea Market last weekend, I don't know to much about Omega watches so I am curious to see what everyone thinks about this watch. Is it a legitimate Omega Constellation? I know the bracelet is not the original, and possibly other parts of it might not be original as well. I believe when I attempted to search for information on Google I had found a similar watch with a leather bracelet and it said it was an Omega Constellation 168.015, ca.1968. Is my watch the same age? If not how can you find out the age. I just would like to know a bit more about the watch, especially if it is legitimate or fake, before I shell out some coin for it. I only paid 10 dollars for it. Other questions below.

1. How do you open the watch to get the case number? Am I better off taking the watch to a jewellery store to have them assist me?
    2. I wish to get the crystal, the crown, the bracelet all replaced, and if possible originals, or at least parts close enough to it. The crystal is scratched a fair bit and the crown I believe is very old and worn, and maybe not even original.
    3. Does anyone know of any trustworthy website for Omega parts? I found this one website with the link listed here below, not sure on how credible it is though.

http://www.ofrei.com/page_146.html.

Any other information, or advice would helpful.

Quinn

Omega1.JPG Omega2.JPG Omega3.JPG Omega4.JPG
    Tik-Tok of Oz and mikechi22 like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 4, 2017

Your watch is 100% legitimate, at least from the outside. I would suggest that you start by reading this article by our member @mondodec :

http://download1644.mediafire.com/98y9cqnn97sg/zjzxx3wwtdh/omega constellation168.025.pdf

You have the correct case reference. It is a Ref. 168.015. There is generally an engraving on the back of the watch below the medallion.

DSCN1941.jpg

Sometimes it can be polished off as it is quite shallow.

To answer your specific questions:

1. You need a special tool to compress the crystal and remove it. Then you have to know how to remove the crown. The movement will then be removed from the front. Do not take it to a "jewellery store", unless there is a AWCI (or similar certification) watchmaker on staff.

2. Crystals and crowns for this watch should still be available from one of several sources. Once you have established a relationship with a watchmaker, they will likely be able to order these for you. It could be that the crystal can be polished out and the scratches removed, or at least be made less noticeable. The crown is toast, and needs to be replaced. The crown for this watch is unique to this model.

3. Ofrei.com (which you referenced in your post) is a legitimate Omega parts supplier and probably has this crown in stock.

By all means, get the watch on a leather strap. Metal watchbands, with appropriate end-pieces were optional for these. However, these cheap "Spiedel" style bands tend to grind out the inside of the lugs over a long period of time.

For $10, you got a steal of an Omega. You can find these for sale on eBay occasionally, where in good condition, they bring quite a bit more than that.

Good luck with your restoration project.
    gatorcpa

3. ConElPueblo Nov 4, 2017

Congrats on a fantastic deal - the sort of most of us would love to do ourselves :thumbsup:

While somewhat polished, the condition looks good overall. I don't see any major scratches in the (original) plexiglass crystal and you'll have that looking great again after 5 minutes of work with some polishing compound. Have a try with Autosol or Brasso if you have some lying around. Finally, as usual, "what @gatorcpa said". That man sayeth Truth!

Timmert and mikechi22 like this.
  4. watchlover23 Nov 4, 2017

Thank you very much for the reply! I first went on the Saturday and noticed the watch at the market and thought ah its got a few scratches and might not be salvageable (Didn't know Omega watches were wind up ones like Rolex, I just knew Omega was a good name) thought it might have been broken. Then went back the next day and I am sure glad I picked it up, especially after hearing all this. I will follow all these steps and have the watch running well.

5. watchlover23 Nov 4, 2017

Thanks ConElPueblo! I do not have any Autosol or Brasso but I could pick some up if it will do the trick. It has a few scratches on it. I also forgot to mention here in my post that the "I" in Swiss is missing/faded away. I don't suppose their is a way to fix that is there.

6. Noddyman Nov 4, 2017

I wouldn’t worry too much about the missing ‘i’ adds a bit of character. When @ConElPueblo recommends using Autosol/Brasso I think he means using on the crystal only not the case. Nice watch and great find.

ConElPueblo and STANDY like this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 4, 2017

Brasso changed their formula some years ago and I don't think it works as well as it used to for watch crystals. I don't know anything about Autosol.

I would recommend buying a small tube of Polywatch on eBay for a few dollars:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polywatch-...ch-Remover-With-Polishing-Cloth/352159493594?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Use some Q-tips from your local drugstore and an old T-shirt for the case.
    gatorcpa

watchlover23 likes this.
  8. watchlover23 Nov 4, 2017

Thank you very much I will take that into consideration. With regards to the leather strap idea. I know this may sound ridiculous but is there a Omega leather strap specific for this watch? or do you mean just to buy a generic leather strap. I want to try to make this watch fairly original if I can. Recommendations?

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 4, 2017

No, there is not. You can buy a "branded" Omega watchband at a Boutique, but it will cost a lot of money. You will find many threads here about watchbands. My feeling is that I'd rather spend the money on good servicing and repairs than on a replaceable item like a watchband.

You can purchase a period-correct Omega branded buckle, but they are not easy to find. Probably 90% of those on eBay are fake.

Something like this would work for a gold-capped model:

[​IMG]
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-RARE...OR-BUCKLE-16-mm-INSIDE-FOR-18-20/152765592409Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

For a band, look up Keleran USA on eBay.

Good (not the best, but good) quality and very reasonable prices.
    gatorcpa

ConElPueblo likes this.
  10. ConElPueblo Nov 5, 2017

Furthermore, new Omega straps are meant to go on modern watches that are a lot beefier than the old junk. Hence the straps will be padded and quite thick, and more often than not seem to bulky on the slimmer vintage watches.

For $10 I wouldn't give a toss, either :D

And by all means, YES, only on the crystal!

11. watchlover23 Nov 5, 2017

Ah okay thanks a lot @ConElPueblo! I will take a look online, on the Keleran USA ebay site. two more question's! The bracelet that is on it now, the Spiedel USA bracelet, is it easy to take off, something I can do on my own? It is all rusted between the links and I ill have to replace it anyways, or is that something I should take to a certified watchmaker, have them take it off for me so I don't damage it, also, you guys had mentioned the different things to use on the crystal, is there anything I can use on the watch case itself? a polish or cleaner of some sort, whoever owned it before must have been a painter as there are small little white droplets on the case, easy to take off.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 5, 2017

If you have the tools, it should be easy. Since we discussed taking it to a watchmaker, why not let him handle it?

I would just use an old cotton T-shirt with nothing else. The case is gold-capped which has somewhere between 6 to 20 times the gold thickness of plating or gold-filled. So the risk of going right through the gold to base metal is low, unless someone beat you to it. We can’t see that from the picture.
    gatorcpa

watchlover23 likes this.
  13. watchlover23 Nov 5, 2017

Sounds good thanks again fellas! appreciate it @gatorcpa @ConElPueblo I cannot wait to see it all fixed up and good to go in the end.