Forums Latest Members

Questionable Balaclava (Longines) from the Mint

1. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Feb 14, 2017

Menta Watches is offering the watch below. My observations are as follows. Firstly, I noticed the hands. They are not Longines usual pencil hands but some sort of syringe style. I believe that they are incorrect, along with the seconds hand. Next, the numbers in the outer track do not look right, to my eyes. For example, compare the "3" of "30" and the "3" of "35". Both the style and execution are unfavorable. The crown has almost certainly been replaced. Then, looking at the movement, the condition does not match that of the dial's. There are scratches everywhere, the winding wheel is an odd color, the screw on the ratchet wheel looks too large, and an ominous, white dial foot is unashamedly exposed. What do you think?
    www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Longines-Calatrava-Oversized-Wristwatch-no-chronograph-Cal-12-68-37mm-/201816804228?hash=item2efd380b84:g:lG0AAOSwOgdYoLKxPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    5.JPG 1.JPG

2. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Feb 14, 2017

I think you're far too exacting; I mean what do you expect for several thousand dollars?
    I think you put calatrava along with oversize on a listing and watch fluffy and the other poodles jump all over each other despite some real- and to my eyes as well- obvious issues.

adi4, Larry S and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Feb 14, 2017

You're right, I'm not sure what got into me. It's a really cool, military-style, Calatrava for only a few thousand dollars. A couple of small issues are insignificant compared to the slew of likes that the buyer will surely receive on Instagram.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 14, 2017

I think that the dial is OK. Looks correctly aged, including the lume. My concerns would be the obvious replacement crown, and the hands, though not for the reason you suggest. I think that they are original, but have been relumed.

5. Rman Feb 14, 2017

The aging of the parts and dial is consistent to me too.
    The second hand is slightly shorter that the minute hand which is slightly odd.
    The inking of the minute track and logo is quite a different tone.

I'm on the fence about the dial and hands, the watch feels a little "wonky."

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 14, 2017

Hands don't look like they belong to this watch.

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 14, 2017

a similar example...

[​IMG]

adi4, Larry S and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  8. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Feb 14, 2017

Key differences that distinguish QVT's watch from Menta's are the pencil-style hour/minute hands, typical seconds hand (note the difference), numerals in the minute track appear almost squashed (typical) as opposed to vertically elongated (odd), and a correct crown with fewer serrations. Oh and the dial foot sure ain't white.

LarryG likes this.
  9. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Feb 14, 2017

A couple of other examples to consider. The first one, again, illustrates a typical handset. The second one, again, shows a typical minute track and seconds hand.
    e3.JPG hmmmmm.JPG

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 14, 2017

Re: the second example above

As the dial was not treated with luminous material. the hands probably are appropriate. The subject watch should have lume-filled hands, however.

11. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Feb 14, 2017

This example was meant to illustrate a more typical outer track and seconds hand.
    I would agree if we could be certain that the dial was originally luminous.

12. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 14, 2017

For clarity::stirthepot::
    Balaclava: IMG_0868.PNG

Calatrava: IMG_0869.PNG

Baklava:
    IMG_0870.PNG

DaveK, Larry S, Darlinboy and 4 others like this.
  13. Warthog Feb 16, 2017

Couldn't agree more with you on the atypical hands and crown, not quite as sure on the minute track numerals. This accompanying Longines HAND SHAPESChart.jpg chart is helpful to me on hand choices.....

14. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Feb 16, 2017

Your input is appreciated. I have also found this chart useful in the past.