Forums Latest Members
  1. elohtee Sep 7, 2013

Hey guys, I'm looking at possibly acquiring an early Chronometre with the legendary 30SCT2RG movement..Before I finalized anything I just wanted to come on here and hopefully get some insight from the knowledgeable forum members..My only concern about the piece is the model #..from research I've learned that the ref.# 2367 on the case is fairly common for this kind of piece, but the one I'm looking at has the ref.# 2267 on the caseback...I tried to look up some info on this reference but found practically nothing. Before I pull the trigger I'd love to hear some wisdom regarding this "2267" ref... (The watch I'm looking at has a sweeping second hand at the centre...not a subdial.) Thanks in advance!!

2. mac_omega Sep 7, 2013

Does not sound good... should be 2367
    Any pictures? Then I will be able to give a final statement.

3. elohtee Sep 7, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/JobVGMH.jpg ...Link to a picture of the refinished dial. The movement pics were sent to me by email without a link so they unfortunately cannot be posted but from research and from close examination the movement looks to be correct for a 2367. The only oddity was that the caseback had the inscription of 2267-6 on the interior, but the seller just informed me that upon closer inspection it read 2367-6? Regardless, what do you think the value of a piece like this would be? 35.5mm, all SS, correct 2367 movement which is in fair shape..not super clean but still in good running condition. I had my doubts about the dial, I knew it was refinished and that affected the value but I haven't seen many "scientific" dials of this sort on a 2367. Any thoughts and insights is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

JobVGMH.jpg

4. mac_omega Sep 7, 2013

This dial is an absolute no-go! There was non such dial on the early chronometers - or at least I have not seen one yet - and I have seen a lot!

Besides this the case has seen some polishing wheels in its life...
    avoid!

5. elohtee Sep 7, 2013

This piece was offered to me as a trade proposition. In your opinion would it be worth >$1500 or <$1500? Thanks again mac!

6. mac_omega Sep 7, 2013

I am a purist - so I would not consider it at all.
    Please understand that I cannot give you a valuation based on a single picture - would need to see the condition of the rest of the case, the interior, a clear movement shot,... you can upload single pictures here from your hard drive - they need not to be linked.
    Click on the camera symbol on the bottom right...

7. elohtee Sep 7, 2013

In the email I got the pictures were not received as files, so I cannot click or copy them onto my computer, they are just raw photos that I can view only after opening the email...maybe they were copy and pasted? Judging by these photos alone however I can see that there is definitely a little bit of tarnishing/damage on a couple of the components within the movement as well as on the back of the case where the caseback snaps in...I thought it may just be a little rust as these pieces weren't very waterproof and it doesn't look to be too major. Other then that however (as well as the strange dial and the polished case), everything appears to be in sound, vintage condition. Completely understandable if it's hard to make a reasonable quote without more pictures, I was more or less looking for a rough estimate as I know the movement alone is worth a few bucks. Thanks for your advice :)

8. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Sep 7, 2013

Right click the photo and 'Save As' to save it on your hard drive.

9. elohtee Sep 7, 2013

Here we go..thanks Pat

caseback.jpeg movement3.jpeg movement2.jpeg movement1.jpeg
  10. mac_omega Sep 7, 2013

bad condition case - deep rust scars
    rust to important movement parts (polished/matted chronometer parts)
    movement plating issues
    wrongly replaced screws
    wrong train wheel
    what else do you need? It is not even usable as a good parts donor
    forget it and run! ::blowup::

Hijak likes this.
  11. elohtee Sep 7, 2013

Haha thanks Mac, I took a pass on this one, thanks for your help :)

12. ulackfocus Sep 7, 2013

Another candidate for understatement of the year.