Forums Latest Members

Question on Seamaster Date Issue

1. Operations Mar 24, 2022

Hello,

I took the dive and purchased my first Omega a few months back - an Omega Seamaster 300M, calibre 8800. I had put much thought on going the AD route or grey. Ultimately, the savings with this particular reputable grey dealer were too significant to ignore (equal to 2 complete services plus some change). That was a bet I was willing to take.

The watch arrived perfectly with all the stickers intact. It was working very well for the first few months, but then I started noticing an issue with the date wheel. I don't believe I have ever adjusted the date in the forbidden zone. Sometimes it would get hung up in between dates when rolling over at midnight. Other times, I can hear the quickset change "click" over at midnight, but the date doesn't change. It appears that the date wheel consistently changes over only in the 20's. Aside from the date issue, the watch has been keeping time very well.

Based on reading this forum, I understand that the "in-house" warranty provided by the grey should not be used, as this calibre 8800 is proprietary for Omega. So I lost the bet. It's a shame, as I thought this particular calibre was supposed to be very robust. What should I do at this point?

1. Take it to Omega for a complete service now.
    2. Take it to an independent like Nesbits and ask to only fix the date issue. The watch is so new and every other aspect of it appears great. Would servicing the date wheel only cost significantly less?
    3. Delay the fix and wait until the 5-year service mark. Everything else about the watch is perfect and the date issue is an inconvenience, but it doesn't bother me too much. However, I would not want it to cause internal damage that I can't see. Can this date issue cause damage to the watch if I delay the fix?

Thanks for your help.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 24, 2022

There is a known issue with the date on some of the 8800 models. Omega has a redesigned part for it, and this should be covered under warranty. I would start by seeing if Omega will fix this, because it truly is a product defect and not something that you have done.

Cheers, Al

3. Operations Mar 24, 2022

Hi Al,

Since this is a grey market purchase, I don't have the manufacturer warranty card. Are you saying Omega could potentially repair this even if I don't have the warranty card?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 24, 2022

It's worth asking...

5. Operations Mar 24, 2022

Thanks Al,

I will reach out to Omega and see if they can help.