Forums Latest Members

Question on Omega Speedmaster Apollo XI 25th Anniversary Version

1. koyote73 Nov 23, 2016

Hi folks! I genuinely glad to find such a helpful and fellow Speedy Profesional lovers. I recently purchased the above said timepiece.On further inspection, i noticed that the Wordings "Hello Houston,,,,,,The Eagle has Landed" is beautifully engraved but somehow, the black enamel within this engraving is not as BOLD as compared to some examples i've seen on the internet where the writing is Bold and clearly visible. Has anyone else experienced this with this model? I'm wondering whether all the years have somehow eroded the enamel and whether i should give it a go and reenamel the engraving. I've trive it before but the results were not satisfactory cos the small thin engraving size couldn't hold much enamel to begin with. I'm even thinking of mechanically using an egraving Dremel tool to slightly enlarge the engraving!
    Any help or suggestions are truely apprcciated. Thank you!

2. tyrantlizardrex Nov 23, 2016

Hello and welcome.

It's your watch - but the general consensus would normally be to leave well alone, it's aged, that's normal, enjoy it.

Oh, and share pictures! ;)

TLIGuy likes this.
  3. TLIGuy Nov 23, 2016

Welcome to the forum.

Step away from the engraver. There have been a few threads here on correcting the worn enamel with new paint. I think those who have undertaken the job here will reply shortly.

Unless the case back has been polished or excessively worn down the original engraving is more than deep enough to hold new paint if you reapply it.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  4. koyote73 Nov 23, 2016

Thanks a lot guys..truely appreciate your replies. Makes lots of sense :)

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  5. meganfox17 Nov 23, 2016

[​IMG]

"ROGER THAT . THIS IS FLIGHT DIRECTOR ED HARRIS . THAT'S A NO GO , I REPEAT , THAT'S A NEGATIVE. DO NOT BE A SMART-ASS AND RE ENAMEL THE ENGRAVING..."

" LET'S WORK THE PROBLEM PEOPLE...
    WE'RE SURE AS HELL NOT GONNA LOSE A TWENTY FIVE ON MY WATCH..."

nonuffinkbloke, TJH, gemini4 and 2 others like this.
  6. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 23, 2016

Some are really prominent like mine is and some have worn and lost enamel prob due to wear. I say leave well alone and admire it.

I also say leave the Dremel in its case!

[​IMG]

nonuffinkbloke, Linzer and TLIGuy like this.
  7. TLIGuy Nov 23, 2016

@koyote73 after seeing @DLT222 photo above of his Apollo 11 25th Anniversary Speedmaster, if your case back reads "Hello Houston...The Eagle has Landed" you have the 30th Anniversary Speedmaster not the 25th as you note in your thread title.

Gwade likes this.
  8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 23, 2016

Correct and I completely over looked that! Lol

I will put it down to still being on Thailand time and jet lag!

9. meganfox17 Nov 23, 2016

" HOUSTON TO FLIGHT COMMANDER KOYOTE73 "[​IMG]" THIS IS FLIGHT DIRECTOR ED HARRIS....DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM ? WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT STATUS.....
    I REPEAT...IS IT A TWENTY FIVE OR A THIRTY...? "

kkt likes this.
  10. TLIGuy Nov 23, 2016

Engraving is engraving all the same. I was just not sure if being new to the watch the OP knew what edition he actually has.

11. Barada7 Nov 27, 2016

I'd like to think this forum just saved someone a good chunk of money. But then this forum also convinces folks to part with money all the time.

nonuffinkbloke and scbr215 like this.
  12. koyote73 Feb 7, 2017

Dear DLT222, TLIGuy and meganfox17,
    My sincerest apologies for just reading your posts...yes, i kinda got cross-confused between the 25 and 30 anniversary Apollo XI versions..::facepalm1::. Embarassing yes, fatal, no. Thanks for pointing it out folks.

13. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 7, 2017

Have you got a good quality photograph of the engraving?

14. koyote73 Feb 7, 2017

Hi nonuffinbloke.
    Sighhh...i,m err someone who is photographically challenged but somehow managed to put an aftermarket adapter on my Nikon's body to take some macro shots. Trouble is that none of the shots were under natural light so you have alll that polished surfaces gleaming away. Add to that the 360 degrees bevelled watchback cover makes for a nightmare capturing the engravings all around. IInstead of centered arial shots, make i should try some thing like a panaromic 360 shots so that the engravings will be clearer.

Looking back at the quality of my shots compared to most forum members has me more convinced than ever to get rid of all the current shitty pics and take some nice macro close-ups under natural light tomorrow (My time here is 2200hrs +8 GMT) . With a larger aperture lending some greater depth of field, i should be able to get some nicer pics. Stay tuned folks..i hope to post some honest to goodness pics that truely captures just how gorgeous she really is.