Forums Latest Members

Question on Moonwatch Accessories?

1. bucksandreds Dec 29, 2019

I was looking at actual sales on EBay and it looks like the box with booklets and coin go for $200, NATO Strap $150, and astronaut strap a little over $100. I’m keeping the bracelet ($400 or so) but would you sell these accoutrements? I can’t imagine I’ll use or want that stuff and I plan on giving this watch to my son in 40 years. Odds are I’d lose it all besides the watch by then.

2. chronos Dec 29, 2019

I would keep it, especially if you plan to hand down the watch to your son in about 40 years. Imagine how much more special a full set with (unused) items will be for your son!

Cadillac, CHwatCHfan, PhilF and 4 others like this.
  3. chronos Dec 29, 2019

Ps: if you fear to lose them before handing them down to your son, then just put all the things back into the box and lock the full box away, somewhere in a safe place. It shouldn‘t be too hard and is worth the effort in my opinion.

4. CJpickup57 Dec 29, 2019

I second @chronos on both posts. Keep them and find a cool, dry place out of the way of everyday movement and place the box in a shopping bag of some sort to protect from large dust accumulation. I have my Aqua Terra boxes in a bag and on the top shelf in the corner of our walk-in closet. Kids cannot reach it and it is on “my” side so my wife doesn’t care that it’s taking up space in “her” closet :thumbsup:.

5. mzinski Dec 29, 2019

Knowing full well the whole set will fetch more money in the future but, me, I take the other position. I’d sell the accessories I don’t want (I like the NATO so I’d keep it) and the box. It’s my personal preference. I’d rather pay less for a watch and only a watch over all the stuff. I also don’t have a lot of interest in collecting boxes and stuff. And as far as passing the watch on - for me there’s something appealing about a father-son talk and handing the watch to him outright.
    Anyways, it’s just my two cents.

MtnBkr, bucksandreds and Strangedream like this.
  6. Strangedream Dec 29, 2019

If you have a collectible Speedy (e.g. cal.321), intend to resell or pass on to your kids, then you should keep the full set.

In my personal case, I second mzinski; I couldn't care less about the box and accessories. I got my Moonwatch for a good bargain because I directly bought the watch alone from a private seller. Also as an expat constantly on the move I cannot afford to carry too much bulk around.

Edited Dec 29, 2019
    mzinski likes this.
  7. Evitzee Dec 29, 2019

I keep everything, it doesn't take up that much space.

CJpickup57 likes this.
  8. rob#1 Dec 29, 2019

Deltatango likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 29, 2019

Sell it all, your going to keep it in a cupboard for 40 years then give it to your son for him to put it in a cupboard.

Put the $450 in a term deposit for 40 years :whistling:

10. CJpickup57 Dec 29, 2019

Would net about $1,700 from that (assuming 4% interest). Granted, that is better then a box and "stuff" though. Heck, that might be the going rate for a service by then...

11. Deltatango Dec 29, 2019

Squirrel it away somewhere for safe keeping. Your son will appreciate it down the road

chronos, Mad Dog and CHwatCHfan like this.
  12. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Dec 29, 2019

Keep all the stuff...especially the presentation box...because it’s big enough to take pics from the inside with the lid fully closed...which is pretty freaking fun. :thumbsup:

0C18AA39-613B-45CB-93C6-121DB15ABEB1.jpeg

13. OMEGuy Dec 29, 2019

From a collector's point of view, I wish that the previous owners of my watches had saved all of the accessories ... Well, very few have.

So I would keep all the parts and the purchase invoice.

Mad Dog likes this.
  14. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Dec 29, 2019

I would highly recommend purchasing another astronaut strap...so that you can link it with your current astronaut strap...to make a Speedy Gonzales Moonwatch belt. :thumbsup:

All the cool kids are doing it...

59D88823-7190-4F4D-95D4-ABA00D7ABCF1.jpeg

FAF03489-90E6-4348-947F-E9ED2B273362.jpeg

Eve, guwipa, Dsloan and 3 others like this.
  15. asrnj77 Jan 1, 2020

hopefully in 40 years people are still wearing wristwatches. I’m sure 100 years ago our ancestors thought about passing down the pocket watch and while pocket watches do have a dwindling collectors market the desirability isn’t the same.

we want to pass down watches that we like because it’s what we wished were passed down to us but trends change. I would appreciate the nostalgic value of the 31mm watch my grandfather could have passed down but I would probably rarely wear it.

omegasaso12, MtnBkr and bucksandreds like this.
  16. bucksandreds Jan 1, 2020

excellent point. I would totally carry a pocket watch on occasion if I had one passed down by my grandfather. Wristwatches are more practical however because they’re attached and don’t have to be stowed away. They’re also a form of jewelry that a pocket watch really isn’t. I’d imagine that wristwatches will fade to some degree, however.

17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 2, 2020

They should better add in a few extra bezels and start using little cube boxes :whistling: