Forums Latest Members

Question on Hamilton navy pioneer

1. Omegamatt Oct 26, 2015

I have recently purchased a Hamilton khaki navy pioneer and it's really a beautiful watch. Unfortunately I am very sensitive to the ticking from the watch and it is quite bothersome. If i cannot refund watch, I thought of having a thicker sapphire crystal replaced to possibly muffle the sound? Will this make any difference? Feedback needed please.

image.png
  2. Canuck Oct 26, 2015

Try putting a round felt peel and stick furniture glide on the steel back as an experiment. Changing the crystal will do nothing to reduce the decibels. If you are able, exchange it for a similar Quartz watch. Or try to get used to it.

3. Omegamatt Oct 26, 2015

It's a crystal case-back. Can I still try method? Also it seems noise is coming from front of watch not really back

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 26, 2015

Sell, nothing you can do.

I am the guy that takes clocks off the wall at hotels that tick and hide them under pillows. Nothing worse that ticking clocks and dripping water......

5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 26, 2015

The dial on your watch reminds of this 1937 wire lug I picked up a few weeks ago.

She ticks a little loudly herself but not enough to bother me and is running at +/- 3 secs a day in multiple positions. My advice would be if you like the watch, keep it. Think of it like a hot chick with a squeaky voice?

image.jpeg
  6. Canuck Oct 26, 2015

The sound echoes off the back. Basically, it sort of "bounces". If you try it and it doesn't work, how much are you out of pocket?

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 27, 2015

Do what I did.

Join the military at a young age.

Spend many hours in high noise environments, subject yourself to high caliber gunfire, work on jet flight lines with substandard hearing equipment, do small arms range supervisor for three months at a time, experience the thrills of being an EOD technician.

I don't get bothered by ticking mechanical watches any more but those cheap quartz stepper motor clocks drive me nuts.
    That's why I changed all of mine to constant sweep quartz movements, no f'n tickin'.

Nelson.JPG

citizenrich likes this.