Forums Latest Members
  1. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 14, 2012

Hi all, I am reading a little on Longines and stumbled upon a question. I also read this on Dennis' sticky.

"292/3/4 - 24 jewels / date @ 12:00 + power reserve indicator in the center of the dial driven by the hour wheel"

Is it correct to see them in time only watches without the power reserve indication? If so what is the rationale as I assume it is cheaper to produce the 291.
    Thanks in advance.

2. ulackfocus Nov 14, 2012

Yes and no. Longines actually did put movements marked 294 inside time-only watches that were actually caliber 291's with bridges marked 294. Anders discovered this by pestering them incessantly, and posted about it a couple years ago. I've seen a few watches marked like this, particularly Conquest models. They should have a date feature, but it wouldn't surprise me if some were no date 290's. IIRC they should be inside watches from the very late 50's only.

3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 14, 2012

Sorry I did mean those time only watches with the date feature. I saw a Conquest which the owner/seller said is powered by a cal 294 and I did see the bridge marked 294. There is no power reserve indicator so am curious why it houses a 294. And indeed the serial on the movement dates it back to the very late 50's.:D You're a great help. Thanks Dennis.