Forums Latest Members

Question about Watchbuys "inspection period"

1. jzerore Jan 25, 2021

Howdy. I've owned Sinn watches in the past, but just pulled the trigger on my first new one, an 856 UTC. Pretty excited about it! I just got a call from their rep, who informed me about a nuance to their return policy:

Our eight day return period is based upon these time periods:
    • You have three days to inspect and examine your purchase and to notify us of a return.
    • Once your return approval (RMA) is issued, you have an additional five days for your return to arrive in our offices.
    Your three days to notify us of a return begins on the date your package is signed for, provided that the items purchased have not been worn or used in any way

The guy explained to me that I should not wear the watch at all during the first three days. He actually said "feel free to drape it over your wrist, but do not put it on." I did a little online digging, and found people who got dinged for trying the watch on, and even (on OF), sorta blackballed for returning a watch they had tried on once. I am a little apprehensive about not being able to decide I like or want to keep a watch by wearing it, but I also get it.

I am curious if anyone here has an experience to share and how they used that 3-day "inspection period." Do you just wind and set the watch and make sure it works? Then, as you pass by your dresser a couple times a day, imagine yourself wearing the thing and get comfortable with the image of it on your wrist?

Thanks!

2. JwRosenthal Jan 25, 2021

I’ve read the OF member experiences as well. No direct experience myself as I got my Sinn used, but don’t mess around if you are on the fence.
    Do not remove the plastic, do not resize the bracelet, just wind it up and make sure it’s keeping time in multiple positions (I had a Seiko run perfectly on its side but not on its back- it was a loose upper jewel retainer- easy fix).
    Drape it over your wrist and make sure you like it- if you aren’t sure- pack it back up and move on.
    Not many dealers would let you buy a watch, then return it a few days later after wearing it around town- they can’t resell it as new product- neither can Watchbuys.