Forums Latest Members

Question about vintage dive watches

1. Spy You know my name. May 22, 2016

For anyone here that has experience or knowledge about vintage dive watches, my question is can a dive watch be made waterproof(or water resistant if prefer) to its original rating again with new seals?

2. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise May 22, 2016

IMHO, it's possible if there's no rust/deterioration around the caseback screwpoints and the crown/pushers...
    i've seen hideously misshapen/corroded casebacks which i wonder how they can screw back on...lol

3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 22, 2016

there's no reason why a case can't be made waterproof again, I've seen crazy micro welding and remachining done to recover small details and sealing surfaces on tooling and hydraulic equipment in the past, but why would you.

If you want to dive with a watch, or just swim, risk something new that you can get parts for. Or cheap that you don't mind killing. Why risk your vintage piece. My own vintage waterproofs have all had new seals where possible and most have been tested (and passed) but I'll not be risking them in the water.

I don't recommend buying a Seiko diver as a disposable though..... problem is you get attached to them and then you need to buy something to save the Seiko..... and then you fall in love with that and....

Hell.... just but a Submariner and beat the shit out of it.

Archer, dragoman, Nitzbar and 4 others like this.
  4. Spy You know my name. May 22, 2016

If I had the means I would buy a vintage SM300, Ploprof, or Submariner. But I will have to settle for a another brand. Also, since I cannot buy one of the watches I mentioned I definitely cannot get a new watch. That really sucks.

It has been 7 years since I have had a new watch. This is why as long as I could get a vintage diver to pass the waterproof test I will be able to enjoy it round the clock without needing to take it off.

Fritz likes this.
  5. Spy You know my name. May 22, 2016

That is good to know. Thank you.

6. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 22, 2016

Then, all kidding aside, I would go hunting for a used Seiko diver. They can be had for less then the cost of a service on a Swiss watch and are solid reliable pieces. Actually, they can be had new on the web for less than a service!

I paid $125 for this, in its box and looking like new, and would not hesitate to get it wet.
    P1000676.JPG

Spy likes this.