Forums Latest Members

Question about Timegraphs/Watch Tools

1. Swizznasty Jul 14, 2019

Hello All,
    With my increasing love for watches and how they work I am here today seeking tools that one should have. I currently own Extra spring bars, spring bar tool, Pin Pusher, and screw drivers. Although I want to learn as much as possible I am only confident attempting basic procedures such as changing straps, removing/adding bracelet links. I am very interested in knowing how well or terrible my watches are running and going to purchase a time graph because I am very intrigued by accuracy of these well built movements. Doing a general search I've came across Lepsi (app based), the Timegraph 1000. If anyone has personal experiences with these or one not mentioned I would greatly appreciate suggestions. Currently I am leaning towards the Timegraph 1000 solely due to seeing them fairly often in watchmakers Youtube channels. I know that is no way to base a decision on hence me asking here. I know there is very respected enthusiasts as well as watchmakers on these forums who have helped me in the passed and I am looking forward to your responses.
    Thanks!
    Ross
    P.S is a Demagnetizer a must have ?

2. Wryfox Jul 15, 2019

A timegrapher was the single biggest step forward for me. It unlocks the mystery of how well a watch is running. I did alot of research on these before buying, I chose the Weishi 1900...best bang for the buck. I think I paid $135.

Of course it takes some know how to do something useful with the information it provides.

Demag tool is essential. About 1/3rd of vintage watches I buy are magnetized to an extent that requires correction. So yeah, a $10 demag tool and $5 basic compass will pay off for sure. There is no way around a magnetized watch otherwise except going to a watchmaker. They all have one.

There are a lot of other basic and relatively cheap tools that will help tremendously if you're going inside the case.

If you're not going inside and still want to collect vintage watches, other than what you have...get some Polywatch polishing compound. It will help virtually all older plastic crystals clean up real nice.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 15, 2019

A $10 demag tool and a $5 compass = No

A compass will react to a metal watch that is not magnetised

Buy a proper everything don’t buy cheap anything. It will save you in the long run.

5A86E1B7-57C9-4A04-B3BB-ADAD6C706B23.jpeg

The demagnetiser for watches, parts & tools

The Elma electronic demagnetiser for watches and precision tools is very easy handling: operation by only one operating key.
    The accuracy of a watch is influenced by magnetism. After servicing and cleaning a mechanical watch it ought to be demagnetised either when it's disassembled or after reassembly. The balance spring, in particular those in older watches can magnetise over a prolonged period of time. Even tools may present a source of magnetism and ought to be demagnetised before use on watches. By pressing just one key, the Elma Antimag demagnetises within milliseconds: Complete watches, disassembled watch parts, casings parts and tools. Small parts can be put inside a plastic bag which is then placed on the demagnetising area of the Antimag, this ensures that no parts are lost.

Note: Electronic crystal watches must not be demagnetized.

• Dimensions – 160mm x 130mm x 60mm (LxWxD)
    • Weight – 1.0 kg
    • Operating Frequency – 50/60 kHz
    • Voltage – 220-240 Volt

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 15, 2019

Yes, save the $5 on the compass...unless you don't know which way North is. :)

If you think a watch is magnetized, then just demagnetize it - it won't hurt anything to do so. If you are really in need of "knowing" if the watch is magnetized, use the timing machine before and after and it should be obvious.

STANDY likes this.
  5. Wryfox Jul 15, 2019

Must be nice to recommend a $200 demag tool when a $10 one works just fine.

You realize this guy is just a beginner, right? I doubt throwing $1000s on a set of tools is in the cards.

Swizznasty, just get a few basic tools...cheap yes, but effective. Decide if this hobby is going to grow on you. If not, you haven't invested much. If yes, you won't mind spending more for the good stuff.

I have always had the contrarian opinion on this matter, different than the experts on this board. Why? Because I know what's like to be a newbie, to be in your shoes. I started small and worked my way up to better tools in just the past couple years. I found out what was worth it and what was not. Heck I've got Harbor Freight watch tools that work perfectly for me and what I need them for. You don't have to spend a lot when you want to do basic activities.

Deafboy likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 15, 2019

They are cheap for a reason.

Why buy a Omega when a digital Casio works just fine. ( actually better ) :whistling:

We were all newbies, but giving advice is when you can bestow a common professional standard of the better the tools the less is out layed in the end and the better the job they do.

I’m a butcher by trade and get asked a lot about a good knife or sharpening stone to buy. Cheap ones do the job but I will always recommend good ones that are more expensive. WHY because they are better.

Noticing you post on the Firearms thread a bit .(nothing wrong with you doing that but I don’t read it )
    Would you recommend a cheap Chinese gun or part to a new enthusiast ;)

connieseamaster likes this.
  7. CaptainWinsor Jul 15, 2019

Buy what you can afford. That’s sound advice

JwRosenthal likes this.
  8. Wryfox Jul 15, 2019

Yes I would, and do. Same criteria. I certainly wouldn't recommend a $4000 H&K when someone is just starting out.

Chinese SKS or a tokarev pistol? You bet. Both are solid and satisfy the desire just fine for a newbie.

Same with vintage watches. You can get in at $50 a pop if you want. This hobby doesn't HAVE to be expensive, it's just that many of us choose to spend more.

And you certainly don't have have to spend a lot on basic tools, but can spend more if you like.

Edited Jul 15, 2019
    Deafboy and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jul 15, 2019

Cheap and very effective for me:

Demagnetizer. There's a proper way to use it, otherwise it makes things worse. I tend to bring the part to demagnetize about arm's length away before releasing the button.
    [​IMG]

Timing machine: It's a computer based software that works very well. Price: FREE! The picture below shows results using a laptop and its internal microphone. On my bench I have a desktop with an external microphone. There is a calibration feature if you want to be accurate to within a 1 s/day. The calibration factor is about a few seconds per day on my computers.

upload_2019-7-15_12-18-3.png

Edited Jul 15, 2019
    connieseamaster likes this.
  10. Swizznasty Jul 15, 2019

Hello everyone!
    Sorry for the delayed response, I just arrived at my computer after a long day in a 107 degree Fahrenheit calibration lab (funny right). I work for a company that calibrates, laser welds, solders AND prints analog dials for thermometers ( yes I have thought how to implement them into my own creations, coming soon!). Task at hand, although I have consumed a lot of information over the last year, roughly 4 hours/day reading about watch brands, how they were engineered and owning about 7 watches that add up to roughly 7k USD. On the technical side I am a noob but do have expensive computer equipment that I build/fix/use as a side job, also owning some high end microphones for content. Only reason I bring this up is because Deafboy stated some software based application and I'm assuming the better microphone the better results? Again a beginner on the technical side but am an extremist when I dive into my passions. That's not ignoring bang for buck. If something performs within 1% and cheaper i'd most likely go with that unless over time it will cost me as some have stated. A lot of people who are providing me with information have in the past which has been very helpful and is much appreciated. Glad to hear from you guys! and thank you very much! If you have anymore helpful information feel free to post or PM me, i'll be on all night.
    Thanks again!
    Ross

11. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jul 15, 2019

Hi Ross,

Microphone quality is unimportant. The laptop's internal microphone works quite well, and we are not exactly using Newmann quality.

Deafboy

Edited Jul 15, 2019
  12. Swizznasty Jul 17, 2019

ah ok thanks for the reply , I would've re-purposed a mic for no reason
    If i have 200 dollars ( can be up to 400 if the gain is prominent) to purchase a time-graph and demag, which would be recommended?
    I see the demag that Standy recommended just unsure of price.
    Thanks
    Ross

13. intron Jul 17, 2019

I picked up a plate demagnetizer in eBay.

They are used by machinist to demagnetize tools.

I’ve only used it twice and seemed to work fine. It was about 20 bucks used.

I also have used the one @Deafboy posted above. Worked ok but on a a thicker cased dive watch I had to remove the caseback for it to work on the movement.

With the plate demagnetizer its stronger and has a larger working area.