Forums Latest Members

Question about service costs for this watch

1. pianofxr Dec 7, 2016

http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=815955&rid=0

Hi,
    This seller, Dave Holmes aka BigWatchguy, who I'm sure many of you are familiar with, has this watch for sale with the disclosure that it needs some work.
    Dave is a good guy that i am currently doing business with on another Omega and I feel he is a stand up seller.
    I have no idea what the alternatives are for getting this watch repaired short of a trip to Omega service. Are there any independents that will work on the Co axial movements? Any help appreciated.

2. AnotherDon Dec 7, 2016

According to Omega's website, their published price to service post-1985 watches is about $500. So, it seems to me if you value that watch at about 50% of the MSRP that would be about $2,500 for a running watch. If you paid Dave the $1,300 and the paid Omega the $500, you're into the watch for $1,800. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

"If it's that easy why doesn't Dave do that?", you ask. Because when you send the watch to the Omega Spa, it's going to be gone for about 6 months and Dave doesn't want to take that time to mess with it. He'd rather cut his loss and move on.

So you can have a nice watch for a little cash and a little time invested. And with a little luck, you've got a chance to make a couple hundred bucks when you flip it. I say, "Go for it." :thumbsup:

3. abrod520 Dec 7, 2016

Independents will be able to work on co-axials, but only those who have been certified by Omega and have parts accounts. You'll need to find one, or take it to an Omega authorized service center at a boutique or AD, in order to get the work done that it needs.

Also important to keep in mind that the service cost is a base; parts (if it should need any) will cost extra.

4. pianofxr Dec 7, 2016

OK that's a guide. sensible if I really loved the watch or if was so cheap I couldn't lose.
    Any recommendations of independents who could handle it without a 6 month wait?

5. jurisevac@ Dec 8, 2016

This sounds like sales of a watch,whit little drama.

6. tyrantlizardrex Dec 8, 2016

In all honesty you're probably best off sending it to Omega.

For the modern stuff, they tend to turn it around pretty quickly - I suspect because there are more of their watchmakers trained on modern than vintage calibres. ;)

For the £310 they charge to service a cal 2628, you get a full Omega 2 year Worldwide warranty... which should you chose to move it on, will make it much easier to sell.

7. pianofxr Dec 8, 2016

Thanks very much for the help.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  8. tyrantlizardrex Dec 8, 2016

No problem - good luck!

We'll be wanting wrist shots when you have it back from service :D