Forums Latest Members

Question about movement on 1950s Longines

1. __ryan__ Jul 20, 2021

Hello everyone, I picked up a Longines wristwatch from the 1950s (cal. 6922), service history unknown. When winding it up, I feel a fair amount of 'skipping' in the mechanism and there is a clicking sound when this happens. I assume something is getting disengaged when it is wound. I can get it fully wound, but worry this could involve stripping of gears or threads. The crown is signed, but I cannot be sure it's correct/original.

Can anyone comment on what might be the problem here? I imagine this is kind of a general problem and not really specific to this movement; I'm just providing the info for context. The watch was fairly inexpensive (~$300) and I'm trying to gage whether or not it's worth pursuing a repair, or attempt to return. Thanks

By the way, if this sort of question is better suited for another section, please do let me know.

Edited Jul 20, 2021
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 20, 2021

This is like asking, “my car’s engine makes a pinging sound”. There could be many causes and no one is going to be able to diagnose this on an Internet forum.

You will need a qualified watchmaker to inspect the watch to determine what is wrong and whether the parts are available to fix the problem.
    gatorcpa

Syrte likes this.
  3. __ryan__ Jul 20, 2021

That's fair. In retrospect, I see this is not really a well-posed inquiry. Thanks again