Forums Latest Members

Question about Automatic Watch Winder

1. corporalq Dec 30, 2015

I recently purchased a Belocia Double Watch Winder. It has pre-set winding settings. I have an Omega Planet Ocean with the 9300 movement. On the bi-directional setting of the Watch Winder it will rotate Clockwise for 20 minutes then rest for 10 minutes then rotate Counter-Clockwise for 20 minutes then rest for 10 minutes. It repeats this cycle for as long as I have it on. I counted the rotations that took place for 1 minute and it came out to 6 rotations per minute. So for 1 hour the Winder rotates 240 times and for a full 24 hour day that comes to 5760 rotations. Is that too many TPD? I do not want to damage the movement of my Planet Ocean. Any advice would be great.

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 30, 2015

Dude if that winder damages your watch I can't imagine what a nice jog on the beach would do to it...

watchknut likes this.
  3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 30, 2015

As long as you didn't buy a medical grade centrifuge to wind your watches, you should be fine.

4. abrod520 Dec 30, 2015

Or a paint shaker

5. corporalq Dec 30, 2015

I just thought that, that many TPD would be excessive. Omega recommends a minimum of 720 RPD to keep it at minimum power reserve. So 8 times the minimum seemed a little high to me. Better to be safe than sorry.

6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 30, 2015

Good to ask. You want your movement to run, run and run...sitting idle is the worst thing for a watch movement, as it allows for the possibility of the oils getting gunked up and causing issues with the movement.

This is the exact reason that I have bought 30-40 year old Rolex that were worn daily and never serviced and still kept amazing time, whereas I have bought watches that were nearly new, but spent their lives in a box, and kept terrible time because the oils were gunky or dried up.

corporalq likes this.