Forums Latest Members

Question about ABP watch straps for Speedmaster

1. Malthus101 Feb 9, 2021

So I mentioned in another thread a Speedmaster I own and am thinking about taking it out the drawer and wearing it!

It has the original steel bracelet but I'd like to put it on a high quality alligator strap too, with deployant clasp.

Best I've found so far is ABP out of Paris. Expensive but great looking.

IIRC, the Speedmaster has 20mm lugs.

The customizer tool on ABP website asks if I will be using an original Omega deployant clasp - well I don't have one - wondering if it's worth sourcing? I personally don't think so, as long as the clasp I get is of the highest quality I don't need it branded.

ABP told me however, that their claps are just made in China - seems a bit cheap for a $450 strap!

I'd rather have German made or something like that. Any recommendations? Seems this "Axel Jost" company isn't making their premium clasps any longer...

So my question is really does anyone have ABP straps, or experience with them, and any advice on best size etc for the Speedmaster.

Thanks!

2. SkunkPrince Feb 9, 2021

I think you'll find that OEM Omega is no more expensive and why not get the real one? The OEM deployant is generally longer than the copies.

Malthus101 likes this.
  3. Evitzee Feb 9, 2021

Omega DP buckles operate differently than most, it's worth it to me to get a real Omega DP buckle and have a strap that is meant to work with it. It's more than simple branding. You can use a generic strap + generic DP buckle, but you lose a bit in translation.

The lug width is 20mm, but you can specify what buckle width you want, usually either 16mm or 18mm. Omega makes DP buckles in both sizes. I prefer an 18mm, but the choice is yours.

Malthus101 likes this.
  4. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Feb 9, 2021

Malthus101 likes this.
  5. Malthus101 Feb 9, 2021

Oh excellent, good find, thanks.

Food for thought though, about using an original Omega one.

And yes, I think I would prefer 18mm, I don't like too much of a drop away in width from lugs to buckle.

Anyone know what the thickest leather strap is I could use? I don't know anything about DP clasps, never even used one before.

3mm? 4-5-6mm too big?

Thanks all.

6. YY77 Feb 10, 2021

You could check with combat-straps.com (his instagram has a lot of examples), he makes superb (alligator and everything else) straps and if you tell him what you need it for he'll know to exactly match thickness to whatever DP clasp your going to wear it on. He also has this:

upload_2021-2-10_8-58-56.png

Edited Feb 10, 2021
    Malthus101 likes this.