Forums Latest Members

Quarter repeater, chronograph, triple calendar, moon phase.

1. afinewatch Mar 15, 2015

I have recently acquired an antique 18K gold pocket watch with the above mentioned complications.
    The watch is running but missing a few parts. The case is not in the greatest shape and the movement is not signed anywhere. I do not know if it will be worthwhile to try and return as much as possible to the original state.
    One of the options I am thinking about is getting a wristwatch conversion case for the movement.
    Has any of you had any good results with any of the case makers who make such cases?

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 15, 2015

Sounds interesting, can you post pics?

3. SeanO Mar 16, 2015

You'd lose all value doing a "Ukraine" on it.

You should investigate a competent watchmaker (not repairer) who could assess the cost of repairing the movement. You can live with a "worn" case and even the unsigned movement is not much of a problem if it is a "full house" of movement complications.

buy as oddboy noted... we're a visual sort of crowd and NEED photo's.

4. Interstatetime Mar 17, 2015

Is the watch jeweled to the repeater hammers? This is generally how I determine the quality of the watch. If the watch is jeweled to the hammers or if the watch is pre 1850 it might really be worth more in original condition even if the case is not so hot. Please post a photo of the movement and dial.

Thanks,

JohnCote

5. ulackfocus Mar 17, 2015

"Jeweled to the hammers" translated to non-repeater laymen usually means at least 30 jewels.

A pocket watch with those complications can easily cost over $1000 to repair & service.

6. Interstatetime Mar 17, 2015

It is actually simpler than that. Look a the hammer pivots and see if they are jeweled.

7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 17, 2015

need pictures!!!

must feed the addiction!

slobber, slobber, drool.......