Forums Latest Members

Quality watch warranty and service. Peace of mind / rest in peace (The Rolex murder)

1. Omegafanman Mar 23, 2019

It seems owning a good watch and registering for warranty / having it serviced does have some side benefits. I came across the story of the Rolex murder this week. On July 28, 1996, a man’s body was found in the net of a trawler in the English Channel. The only clue was a Rolex Oyster watch on his right wrist. Six weeks later, after researching Rolex’s meticulous service records, Police officers established that the victim was 51-year-old former soldier Ronald Platt. He had bought the watch in the late sixties and service documents showed the timepiece had twice been taken by Mr Platt to a firm of jewellers in the 1980s.The watch was still in working order and based on its stopped time/date and assuming a full power reserve they were able to confirm the approximate time and date that he went into the water. It turned out he had been murdered and dumped overboard from a yacht.Following some careful police work the watch formed a crucial part of the evidence which helped bring this man’s killer to justice. So, owning a quality time piece for years gave him peace of mind …and ultimately let him rest in peace as justice was done.

Info.jpg
  2. 77deluxe Mar 23, 2019

Another good reason not to wear a quartz movement watch. Helps establish the time of an untimely death...

Waxtactic and Omegafanman like this.
  3. Omegafanman Mar 23, 2019

I had not thought about it in that way but in this instance you are right.

4. kkt Mar 23, 2019

Are you sure that's the moral? I thought the moral was, if you murder someone, be sure to take their watch.

Omegafanman likes this.
  5. pweingarten Mar 23, 2019

Haha! I'm with you 77deluxe.

Omegafanman likes this.
  6. Wryfox Mar 26, 2019

I'm thinking if I get murdered with my Invicta, i'm screwed.

Omegafanman likes this.