Forums Latest Members

Quality inexpensive seatbelt NATO straps

1. EdwardC Jan 26, 2018

I'm always looking for new NATO straps and recently wanted to try a seatbelt-like material strap. I actually like the material of ZULU straps, but don't like the round hardware. I've been known to cut off the extra flap on my NATOs. ToxicNATO has their Rogue line that I've been meaning to try: https://www.toxicnatos.com/products/toxic-rogue-new-20-22mm Plus their ShizNit line of seatbelt Straps. I have a few of their straps already and really like them.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share these straps that I just received for a surprisingly good price. They're sold in pairs for $17 (Amazon prime). Only two options in 20mm and 22mm: Black & Black with Grey Edges and Black & Black/Grey Bond.

The hardware feels decent with a brushed finish, stitched keepers (if you like that), rectangular holes, and decently sealed edges. It feels stiff, but I'd expect that for this kind of material and expect it to break in over time. Obviously I have no long term experience with these yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0767CJCXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not the seller and don't own any stock in the company (well, technically I own some AMZN), just sharing a seemingly quality strap for cheap.

I'm pretty new here, so let me know if linking or anything else in this post is against any OF rules and I'll edit (or mods can delete!).

SB1.jpg SB2.jpg

SB4.jpg

Next to a cheap NATO with the extra flap removed:
    SB3.jpg

2. dbtong Jan 27, 2018

I have a Shiznit from ToxicNatos as well as a N80. The Shiznit is really nice. How does these bargain versions compare to it?

3. EdwardC Jan 27, 2018

I don't have a ShizNit yet (I just ordered yesterday), but I have an N80 (was $18) on my Speedy that I can compare with.

The big difference, of course, is the seatbelt material. It's thicker, smoother feeling and softer. Construction-wise, they are stitched in the same places, with slightly different stitch locations for the keepers and strap, but doesn't seem to make any difference. The hole spacing on the bargain straps are a little further apart, so it might be tougher to dial in the exact size. However, I'm really liking the larger rectangular cut outs. The N80 on my daily wearers have the holes a little more wallowed out, so I'm thinking the larger surface area of the rectangular tang will spread out the forces. I'll have to report back about how durable the holes are.

The buckle is arguably sturdier feeling than the ToxicNATO, the tang is a solid piece while the N80 is a thinner piece that is bent around the pivot.

My ideal watch strap is a 3 ring seatbelt strap with NATO hardware, so'll probably buy more of these cheap sets and experiment with cutting the flap off. Not a huge loss at $8.50ea.

ToxicNATO N80 on right.
    IMG_20180127_193419.jpg
    IMG_20180127_193449.jpg

4. alam Jan 28, 2018

what’s the purpose/function for all this stuff?

::stirthepot::

:p

C2BA5A8D-FEDE-4187-A1F6-32E72AA8DECE.jpeg
    STANDY likes this.
  5. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jan 28, 2018

It’s to compensate for small wrists like mine!

I can not recommend Toxic ShizNits enough. I have multiple and they are a great product and a very reasonable price. The hardware is great and the straps are insanely comfortable. I’ve been meaning to try out the new rogues, so I’m looking forward to hearing your opinions @EdwardC.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 28, 2018

Had a look at those shark------ ones the other day @Jwit
    Liked the two piece strap type they had.

Searched and Sharknado kept coming up :mad:

Can you link them here again please

(Seatbelt will be a good search word for future)

watchknut likes this.
  7. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jan 28, 2018

Are you thinking of Blushark? https://www.blusharkstraps.com/

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 28, 2018

watchknut, Jwit and eugeneandresson like this.
  9. heccsat Jan 28, 2018

WiZARD likes this.
  10. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jan 28, 2018

It still amazes me that they are still making those movies. Sharks wearing Natos would be more interesting to me!::screwloose::

STANDY likes this.
  11. MrMosin Jan 28, 2018

BluShark makes nice straps too, but they're seatbelt ones are twice the price, and after wearing some of them for 6 months they're fraying and drizzling. Still function though! Can't wait to get one from Toxic

12. EdwardC Jan 28, 2018

Have you tried passing a flame near the frays? I haven't needed to yet, but Toxic says on their site that their straps may need it occasionally.

These seatbelt type strap does seem to have little frays more than the normal NATO material (compared to the N80 and cheap-o NATOs). I just cut and sealed the flap of one of these straps, feels great with my SKX.

Edited Jan 28, 2018
  13. EdwardC Feb 2, 2018

I received the straps from ToxicNATO yesterday. Got a grey ShizNit and an Olive Rogue.

Top to bottom:
    Amazon Seatbelt (1.4mm)
    TN N80 (1.2mm)
    TN Seatbelt (1.2mm)
    TN Rogue (1.4mm)
    IMG_20180202_093725 (Small).jpg

The Rogue is quite stiff, stiffer than the 1.4mm Amazon strap. It seems a bit shinier than my older N80 (although that might just be the age). The Rogue has a little bit of a waffle appearance to it, at least compared to the N80 and to my old cheap eBay Natos.

The ShizNit s super soft in comparison. The weave is a little tighter than the Amazon strap.

The holes seem to be by far the best in the way the edges seems well melted and sealed. A tiny bit better than my older N80 (the Bond above), and definitely better than the TN ShizNit.

The Rogue is going on my Hamilton Khaki, the ShizNit will probably float around on one of the SKXs. It's only been a week, but I still fine the Amazon straps to be a great deal.