Pusher for Vintage Ultraman

Hey guys, I have a Vintage Ultraman that my father purchased new. He gave it me when purchasing a new watch back in 72-73. Somehow over the early years of me wearing it around I managed to loose a pusher somewhere. I am seeking one for it, and mine appears to measure 5.05mm wide . Please see Pic's for details, including inside the case with numbers etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to have this watch complete again as it has great sentimental value to me. It looks like just the pusher cap as there is a pin in the centre. How are these held in place ? Seems to be a common problem for these watches.

Looks like a very nice example. Complete new pushers for the 145.012-67 are still available from Omega. Has it been serviced recently? If not a service and new pusher might be a good idea, but be sure to get a recommendation for a watchmaker first. If you can find a cap I think it would just screw on, but you risk it coming loose again and there could be dirt in the body. Anyway, it’s a lovely thing!

Looking at the gasket, this watch desperately needs a service! Especially considering the value of the watch, don't stop at just installing the pusher.

Find a good watchmaker that will respect the original components of the watch. I'm sure members here can help suggest someone depending on your location.

I hope that wasn’t you scratching the case back removing it without the right tool……that a good thousand dollars damage off the price of what that watch is worth right there….:whistling:

I hope that wasn’t you scratching the case back removing it without the right tool……that a good thousand dollars damage off the price of what that watch is worth right there….:whistling:
These work just fine for me.::bleh::::facepalm2::
2760980A-85DE-489A-8A8D-56C31F9ACDDB.jpeg

Looking at the gasket, this watch desperately needs a service! Especially considering the value of the watch, don't stop at just installing the pusher.

Find a good watchmaker that will respect the original components of the watch. I'm sure members here can help suggest someone depending on your location.

Hey thanks for the advice. My father had it serviced a few times while he owned it, as can see the engraving inside case back. That is a requirement that official Omega dealers must engrave in case back when serviced. My father used it extensively while sky diving etc so always had it looked after by reputable Omega dealer. Since I have had it, 50 years or so it's had very little use. I had one Omega dealer in Melbourne wanting to buy it off me and said that from the collectors point of view they would prefer to have it as is with the seal deteriorated (like grease he said) but I was sceptical about that. He has kept in contact with me for about 2 years, about selling it, offered me $15,000.00 then last call $20,000.00 but as I told him I don't want to sell it. He has handled it and removed the case back hence the pics. Lots of sentimental value to me.My only fear taking it to a dealer is of a dealer swapping components over and resealing it. I understand the value of these watches now, particularly the Ultraman. The pusher, would a good used one be preferable to a new one to match the age of the watch.
Mick

Looks like a very nice example. Complete new pushers for the 145.012-67 are still available from Omega. Has it been serviced recently? If not a service and new pusher might be a good idea, but be sure to get a recommendation for a watchmaker first. If you can find a cap I think it would just screw on, but you risk it coming loose again and there could be dirt in the body. Anyway, it’s a lovely thing!

Hey thanks for your reply. No hasn't been serviced while I have had it(50 years) very little use. My father always kept it serviced while he had it, be used it extensively while sky diving etc and always went to a particular Omega dealer (no longer there), hence the engraving inside the case back that official Omega dealers must engrave in the case back when serviced. The seal is like grease now. I haven't worn it for possibly 25 years or more. What would a new genuine pusher be worth? Would a good used one be a better option due to matching the age of the watch?
Mick

No it is from I believe being in the draw for so many years

sitting in the drawer with a missing pusher and those deteriorated gaskets isn’t going to stop moisture damage, unless you control the humidity carefully. As others have said, it really does need a service from a watchmaker who won’t replace the important parts (dial, hands, bezel, etc) but will replace the gaskets and clean the movement.

I understand you want to keep it as original as possible, but the gaskets in it are already not original — you said your father had serviced it several times. So replace them. I would get new pushers on it to be absolutely sure about no moisture ingress, but your watchmaker might be able to source a used part that will work.

That is a requirement that official Omega dealers must engrave in case back when serviced.

No, it isn't. It's now considered damaging a customers watch, so very much frowned upon.

@mickandlesleym … This is a very valuable watch. Stop screwing around with DIY and get this to a watchmaker with an Omega parts account. Let the watchmaker source the parts and get this back in order. What service and parts will cost you is trivial compared to its value. Hate to sound cranky but you’ve been given advice and you are still ruminating about sourcing pushers. Sounds like you don’t want to pay for a service. If that is the case, sell this thing to one of the many folks who are undoubtedly e mailing you with offers. They will properly care for this watch.

Sounds like your in Australia. Send it to Lewis watchmaker in Australia (Perth)

https://www.lewiswatchco.com/

He will know what to do and treat you well…

Do what others have said and get a vintage pro to replace the pusher and overhaul the movement. This is not a DIY project. "With great power comes great responsibility"
Edited:

sitting in the drawer with a missing pusher and those deteriorated gaskets isn’t going to stop moisture damage, unless you control the humidity carefully. As others have said, it really does need a service from a watchmaker who won’t replace the important parts (dial, hands, bezel, etc) but will replace the gaskets and clean the movement.

I understand you want to keep it as original as possible, but the gaskets in it are already not original — you said your father had serviced it several times. So replace them. I would get new pushers on it to be absolutely sure about no moisture ingress, but your watchmaker might be able to source a used part that will work.
Thanks for your advice, I will do as you suggested as I can understand what you mean. It has been to a dealer to look over (in front of me) he was the one who removed the case back and checked it over and he has been the one contacting me so many times to buy off me for his personal collection, but I keep telling him not for sale. It has been in one my very seldom open draws in an old paper pay packet hence the scratches on the case back. Wish I had realised it was getting scratched . The dealer reckons to use it he would service it (but said it's excellent inside) apart from the seal but for him as a collector he would leave it as is, including the seal and just replace the missing pusher. I will get it serviced and pusher fitted for my own piece of mind and as I said I won't sell it anyway. Once again thank you for your input.
Mick

That's an odd collector who would do nothing to the movement, as well as the non-functional mess of a seal, and just replace the missing pusher. Quite possibly he will tidy it up and put it to auction, or sell it to a collector who would actually want a functional watch.

Thanks for your advice, I will do as you suggested as I can understand what you mean. It has been to a dealer to look over (in front of me) he was the one who removed the case back and checked it over and he has been the one contacting me so many times to buy off me for his personal collection, but I keep telling him not for sale. It has been in one my very seldom open draws in an old paper pay packet hence the scratches on the case back. Wish I had realised it was getting scratched . The dealer reckons to use it he would service it (but said it's excellent inside) apart from the seal but for him as a collector he would leave it as is, including the seal and just replace the missing pusher. I will get it serviced and pusher fitted for my own piece of mind and as I said I won't sell it anyway. Once again thank you for your input.
Mick
The dealer is an idiot.

Call me cynical, but it sounds like the dealer/collector is just trying to appeal to your emotions with the story of keeping it for his own collection/keeping it all original.

The dealer/ collectior absolutely wants the watch.
Before you do anything, figure out what you want to do with the watch. Take your time ! Keeping it in that state after 25 years in a drawer is a bit of a waste. You are not keen to sell it and I don't blame you. Anything other than properly repairing it and wearing it will be your choice and rather a poor one.

Enjoy the watch !

That's an odd collector who would do nothing to the movement, as well as the non-functional mess of a seal, and just replace the missing pusher. Quite possibly he will tidy it up and put it to auction, or sell it to a collector who would actually want a functional watch.

He is a shop, a dealer who wants it for his personal collection. I took it to him initially to see if he had a pusher for it. He removed the case back in front of me to have a look and wanted to check if if was genuine, after he opened it he wanted it.

Are you sure he didn’t scratch it when opening it? The scratches on the bevelled part of the caseback are 100% from a clumsy opening.

Anyway, it’s extremely strange to want to preserve a gunky mess of a caseback seal. Most collectors would want a thorough clean and service. At the most extreme they’d leave the scratches on the crystal but most would polish them out. Sounds like he either want to buy it to sell or doesn’t want you taking to someone to service it who doesn’t know what they’re doing and might decrease the value.