Pusher for Vintage Ultraman

Are you sure he didn’t scratch it when opening it? The scratches on the bevelled part of the caseback are 100% from a clumsy opening.

Anyway, it’s extremely strange to want to preserve a gunky mess of a caseback seal. Most collectors would want a thorough clean and service. At the most extreme they’d leave the scratches on the crystal but most would polish them out. Sounds like he either want to buy it to sell or doesn’t want you taking to someone to service it who doesn’t know what they’re doing and might decrease the value.
Reasonable .. I modify “idiot” to “scumbag”.

Hey thanks for your reply. No hasn't been serviced while I have had it(50 years) very little use. My father always kept it serviced while he had it, be used it extensively while sky diving etc and always went to a particular Omega dealer (no longer there), hence the engraving inside the case back that official Omega dealers must engrave in the case back when serviced. The seal is like grease now. I haven't worn it for possibly 25 years or more. What would a new genuine pusher be worth? Would a good used one be a better option due to matching the age of the watch?
Mick
Just on the gasket, I’ve yet to see any omega ever draw a premium as a result of an old gasket but I’ve seen plenty have their value destroyed by a failed one.

Occasionally I see a vintage constellation with the yellow gasket that typically indicates it has never been changed, and if it’s an otherwise mint condition watch I’ll think to myself “well that’s cool it probably went into a drawer when fairly new and didn’t get used much” but then I’ll replace the yellow gasket with a good new one.

Hey guys, I have a Vintage Ultraman that my father purchased new. He gave it me when purchasing a new watch back in 72-73. ..

If you don’t mind sharing, did your father tell you about attracked him to this watch? Was he a Space fan? Was he attracked to Omega as a brand or the Speedmaster in particular? Was he aware of the red chronograph hand and if so, did it influence his decision to buy it?

Just curious, as this is as close to going back in time as we get. It's fun to imagine walking in to a store and seing these watches for sale once upon a time.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy it with fond memories of your dad

Hey guys, I have a Vintage Ultraman that my father purchased new. He gave it me when purchasing a new watch back in 72-73. Somehow over the early years of me wearing it around I managed to loose a pusher somewhere. I am seeking one for it, and mine appears to measure 5.05mm wide . Please see Pic's for details, including inside the case with numbers etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to have this watch complete again as it has great sentimental value to me. It looks like just the pusher cap as there is a pin in the centre. How are these held in place ? Seems to be a common problem for these watches.

that’s looks like an extremely attractive example, would love to see more pics, well focused in natural light, if you get a chance

Being a specialized, professional watchmaker myself doing most of the time these type of vintage watches, my advise would be:
Clean (remove dirt, goo from the old seals etc, no polish!) the case and strap. replace the pushers with new original models and crown. And offcourse replace all pushpins, you do not want to loose the watch due to a worn pin.
Polish the plexi glass and keep all the old pushers and crown in a package to be stored away with the watch. In that way you will preserve the watch from moisture, dirt coming in through the more or less open pusher and seals and you can wear the watch. In case you ever want to pass the piece of history to you heirs, it is still complete or, not likely I think from your comments, you have to sell it the new owner can choose to go back to to the old state.
For me servicing the movement is a no brainer. Watch should run fine. New Omega original mainspring and replace worn parts. Parts are getting harder and harder to get and you want to keep it 100% and original. Dial, hands, bezel etc. should not be replaced. That would be an absolute no-brainer.